88 Buick Regal Ignition Module

DaveFromColorado

Hey, I've gotta replace the ignition module on my old 88 Buick Regal for the guy who bought the car, any ideas on how dificult this is ... or an aprox. ammount of time it'll take to do this? - it's got the 2.8/440t4 in it.

--Dave.

I've changed the ICM completely on my old LeSabre and it was easy as pie. I had to unbolt the ICM/Coilpack assy on the Lumina when I changed the plugs, and there were 4 bolts holding the bracket on. I think the ICM's are in the same place on the older 60*'s, so it should be simple. Unbolt the coil packs and remove them. After the CP's are unbolted, the module breaks free from the mounting bracket. When you reassemble the module to the mounting bracket, be sure you slather on a good coating of high-temp silicone electrical grease (not dielectric grease) between the module and bracket! If you don't, the heat will burn up the module. But yeah, very simple to change on the V6's. On a Chevy 2.2 or an Iron Duke 4 banger, different story!!!

I did an I-module on an iron duke, I also replaced the crank sensor at the same time and that was easy as hell for me, so looks like this should be fairly easy.

now, is the I-module from the older 2.8's with the same as the I-module used on the newer 3100's?

--Dave.

I just did a search on Car-Part dot com for an ICM for an 88 Regal. Results came back and the newest vehicle listed was an 03 Montana, so yes I do believe they are all the same. Don't use one from a 3800, though. The 3800's have a different connector, otherwise I'd sell you one since I have one laying around (turned out my crank sensor was bad on my old LeSabre and not the ICM.)

I'd say it shouldn't take you more than 25-35 minutes to do the swap.

What car was the Duke in? I know changing the ICM on a Duke Grand Am was a pain in the ass. Did you have that sucker up on a lift or something?

it was in a Cutlass Ciera - did it from the top, made it real easy.

I'm happy as hell 'bout that not takin' that long, I've got an extra I-mod. here along with 3 extra coils.

--Dave.