3rd-2nd Tranny Clunk, Vacuum modulator Assy on Tranny

SantaCruzTGP

So after reading my service manual extensively, I was able to come up with only a few idea's of how to fix my Transmission clunk.

My problem lately has been the tranny when shifting from 3rd to second when coming to a stop or slow, shifts really hard.

The trouble shooting section states that this might be indicitive of a bad vacuum modulator assy?

This is the fitting where the t-valve attaches to the tranny.

Anybody replaced this part? I can't find this replacement procedure in my manual and I looked for over an hour last night.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To alleviate the problem I've been driving it around in the city in 2nd avoiding the upshift into 3rd.

-Jeromy

Santa Cruz huh, ah the many good times I had there. :D Just didn't like the drive over the hill. :(

As for the mod its just below and to the rear of where your lower IC pipe connects to the turbo. take the lower pipe off and you can see it (take the upper air cleaner hose off too). It's about 2'' round with a hose comming out of it and is held in by 1 bolt. Check the hose and the restrictor or check valve on the tee.

You can get an adjustable one from transgo that a lot of people are using.

I've got one but never put it on. You will see it's hard to get to adjust espically on a hot motor.

Good luck

Jud

Thanks for the info Jud. You don't like 17 huh! Me neither, I commuted that hill for 6 years on my motorcycle, I can't imagine commuting in a car. I'll stay here in SC!

So what up with this t-valve? which side is the vacuum line attached to? I removed the line from one side and put it onto the side that has what appears to be a diaphram of some sort. It didn't solve the problem. I have no problem getting down there, but how do you test this peice to make sure it's fuctioning ok?

I think it's not the t-valve but where the t-valve attaches to the tranny. That blue looking thing with the nipple coming out. Yes, just under the IC pipe. Has anybody replaced this part? If so, does the pan need to be dropped and fluid emptied? If so, I need to know. Like I said, the service manual doesn't say didly about this little part. I'm going to continue trying to find a solution.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Jeromy