FRAM Sure Drain?

sx460

Anyone heard if they are any good? I picked one up today cause it looks like it'll help make changing the oil easier, faster, cleaner. My main problem with changing my oil now is after it goes into the oil catcher, it's a pain to put it into a 1 gallon milk jug. You can use a funnel but it's still a really messy deal.

I'm thinking about upgrading the Sure Drain. Basically adding a spicket type valve at the end of the orange hose. This way after screwing on the orange hose I can then control if stuff comes out of the hose or not. My car uses 5.5 quarts of oil. There's 4 quarts to a gallon so I'll have to stop almost half way through draining the oil into a milk jug. So the spicket will allow me to just stop the flow and move to the next milk jug. This will elimate ever having to use an oil catcher.

Seems like a cool idea to me.

Matt

I had it on my car, I call it the "sure leak" and have since taken it off. First off it takes about 5 times longer to drain the oil. Second, After my 1st oil change with it, I tried stopping it by removing the drain hose (which it's supposed to do) and it got stuck open. By the way, the drain hose leaked as well. After making a mess and wasting tons of time, I removed the sonofabitch and put my magnetic plug back in. Much happier! Fuck fram

I am considering purchase of a drill-powered pump, to pump oil and trans fluid out thru the dipstick tube. Once most of the oil is pumped out into a container, can remove the drain plug for the last few drops at the bottom of the pan. This should be cleaner, as the oil shouldnt come pissing out when the plug is removed.

Should be easier to remove the trans pan once it's almost empty. Last time I did this, it spilled on my head and I got an earful of Dexron. Can do partial trans fluid changes between filter changes too.

These kits seem to be sold at a lot of boat supply websites.

http://www.shipstore.com/ss/html/ITT/ITT172150000.html

Never did boat maintenance but I assume it is not practical to do an oil change on an inboard boat engine by putting a catch pan under the oil pan and removing the drain plug. Spilling drain oil into the harbor water is probably also uncool.

I've heard some people have success with the Sure Drain, but I decided against it because one little problem with the valve or if it gets broken/knocked off if you drive over debris, your engine is toast!

The pump idea sounds like a good one, and it's what I do with my transmission fluid. Finding a good electric pump is the problem though. I once bought one of those "Oil Change Pumps" from JC Whitney and it was a total piece of crap so I sent it back. Electric pumps can get fairly expensive. I was thinking maybe I could try using my old fuel pump after I replace it - it works, but drops to 32psi at 3000rpm so it's pretty weak. The fuel pump might choke on the viscous oil, but heck, if I was going to throw it out anyway...

I've been told those things leave more sludge than the traditional draining. I haven't actually tried one, so I don't know.

That's what I heard too, but I would think removing the drain plug after pumping most of the oil out should get rid of the remaining sludge.

I've heard some people have success with the Sure Drain, but I decided against it because one little problem with the valve or if it gets broken/knocked off if you drive over debris, your engine is toast!

Maybe leakage is why transmissions don't have drain plugs? I dont understand why automakers don't put at least one sending unit in automatic transmissions for low fluid level, temperature, or pressure. Low engine oil pressure warning is standard, but if the trans suddenly loses fluid or overheats there is no warning until it's toast. Engines usually last the life of the car, but not transmissions. Overdrive computer controlled automatics cost a lot more to rebuild than 3-speeds did. This is a safety issue if the trans fails at the wrong time.

Newer transmissions DO have drain plugs. My '99 Silverado has a drainplug ont he tranny.

Also, all 94+ 4T60-E's, 4T65-E's, etc. DO have a transmission temperature sensor. However, the trans temp is used internally by the PCM. I don't believe there's any warning light if it overheats. Maybe the Check Engine comes on, but I'm not sure.

I put a motormite drain plug in my transmission 8-years ago and never had a problem.