PCV Valve? HELP

f_399

PCV is that right? the car kinda stalls when its pulled out.

Its totally out of the valve. I had to tape it on coz it kept coming out.

Am I in deep Sh**??? What do it do??

The o ring or the black rubber thing just broke and disintegrated.

Can i just buy the tip coz the wire is ok.

Buy a new one a replaece it and you will be ok....If a PVC valve has you in deep shit....then your life will be peaches and cream!!! :lol:

its in the front of the engine near the the throttle wire(you push it an you can rev the motor) and it connects somewhere in the back by some spark plugs.

the one in the front broke, its there because i put tape... if i take it out it sounds like my car would stall

~1997 3.1 Lumina

I'd need a picture to see the part you're talking about.

the PCV Valve is for Positive Crankcase Venalation - this means any water, or fuel, or anything else that makes it into your oil pan gets boiled off and sucked into the intake, where it's then burned and pushed out thru the exhaust system.

there's (typically) no wires or electronics going to the PCV valve (there may be, but I've never* seen a PCV valve with wires) so you may be talking about other parts, if you could take a picture of the unit you are talking about, that'd be awesome.

--Dave.

Your car probably wont run too well if the hose is broke or anything like that. Just replace the valve and new hose and you should be fine. When i took mine off it killed the car. I am assuming because of vaccum. I used that hose to suck in Seafoam and clean out the engine, had to give it throttle to keep it running even when the can was empty.

I can't even find my PCV. Where is it? I can't even find the hose coming from it.

1990 Cutlass Supreme 3.1 Litre

Rear Valve cover, pull the hose off of it and simply pull it out of the valve cover...shake it, it is supposed to rattle if good....even if it's good and it's old, replace the damn thing! They're only $2 or $3. You'll likely need to replace the hose that attaches to it as well, you may need to remove the plenum(aka upper intake, the part that has 3.1 MPFI written on it) to replace the hose though, although I've never tried replacing one w/o already having the plenum removed for other service.

EDIT: I stated the above judging by the way my 93 SE's 3.1 is as far as the hose attaching to the PCV valve goes, I believe I've seen it stated somewhere that certain years had the vacuum fitting attached directly in the rear(accessible part) of the intake plenum instead of under it like my 93 has.

You'll likely need to replace the hose that attaches to it as well, you may need to remove the plenum(aka upper intake, the part that has 3.1 MPFI written on it) to replace the hose though

Does anyone have the part number for that hose?

You'll likely need to replace the hose that attaches to it as well, you may need to remove the plenum(aka upper intake, the part that has 3.1 MPFI written on it) to replace the hose though

Does anyone have the part number for that hose?

Paul, just take your old PCV valve and/or hose to a local parts store and get a similar length & size of vacuum hose to replace the old one with, don't get ripped off by going to a dealer...you probably won't spend $.25 on the hose at a parts store.

In my opinion, I'd rather use a similar inside diameter size fuel hose to replace the PCV hose.

That's what I did on mine. The original PCV hose is hard and it is hard to bend it because you only have a little clearance when connect both ends of the PCV hose to the underside of the intake plenum and the rear valve cover. The PCV hose is an S-shape (non-flexible) and it breaks easily because you have to lift plenum up and try loosen the clamp holding the PCV hose into the underside of the intake plenum.

My new PCV hose (fuel hose) is much flexible and allows me to lift the intake plenum while loosening the PCV hose clamp without much stress to the PCV hose.

its in the front of the engine near the the throttle wire(you push it an you can rev the motor) and it connects somewhere in the back by some spark plugs.

the one in the front broke, its there because i put tape... if i take it out it sounds like my car would stall

~1997 3.1 Lumina

You might be talking about the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). How many wires are coming out from it?

Digital picture would surely help.

This is the IAC valve(located on the throttle body, it's the one closest to the front of the car on the throttle body).

IAC.jpg

IAC1.jpg

EDIT: fixed the pics :shock:

In my opinion, I'd rather use a similar inside diameter size fuel hose to replace the PCV hose.

That's what I did on mine. The original PCV hose is hard and it is hard to bend it because you only have a little clearance when connect both ends of the PCV hose to the underside of the intake plenum and the rear valve cover. The PCV hose is an S-shape (non-flexible) and it breaks easily because you have to lift plenum up and try loosen the clamp holding the PCV hose into the underside of the intake plenum.

My new PCV hose (fuel hose) is much flexible and allows me to lift the intake plenum while loosening the PCV hose clamp without much stress to the PCV hose.

when I replaced the pcv hose, i just got regular rubber hose in the same length. In the turns the hose feels crimped. I'll get some fuel hose soon.