Thermostat?

GutlessSupreme

My car randomly started overheating today. Got home and took a look, appeared that neither of the fans were coming on at all. After fucking with it for a bit I ended up hard wiring BOTH fans to come on whenever the key was "on" (til I can get this fixed). I sat and revved it to let it get to operating temperture then went for a ride around the block. it was STILL hitting 235 and smoking at me, with both fans ALWAYS ON. The only thing I can think of is that the thermostat's seen better days and needs to be replaced.

Anyone else agree, or if not, have any idea what could be causing this then?

Coolant smells like shit...

Also check for leaks. The thermostat only costs a few bucks and takes about 15 mins to change, so I would try that and see if it helps.

Is your reservoir overflowing?? lol.. that usually means the t-stat is done. $10. Gross coolant... flush it out! Get a Haynes manual if you don't have one its got all that stuff in there.

Thanks guys.

The reservoir wasn't overflowing... it probably needs more but like you said I'll just flush it and put some new stuff in. I just got a service manual so I'm set for that. Guess it's time for a trip to napa..

LOL, this is the same this that is happening to me. That was the first sign of the problem I had well my reservoir was overflowing too but other than that it seems to be the same. Hope you get yours figured out better than what is going on with me. By the way has anyone seen a situation where the system is blowing bubbles in the reservoir.

When you turn the heat valve on, do you get heat? If the thermostat is stuck shut, you probably won't.

I needed to use my defrosters this morning and they wouldn't defrost the windshield for anything.. it was on full heat. I thought maybe that might've been because I had both fans blasting on the engine and it just needed a bit of time to warm but it hit 230 within 2 miles. I'll go get a new thermostat after school today, because it seems like what's causing the problem.

Well that's a relatively cheap fix. That's the first thing to do if she starts running hot. Check for heat. If it ain't there the circulation got cut and thats the stat. Or the water pump.

Glad to have helped.

Replaced the thermostat, about 5 minutes later I relized I had no coolant (it looked like I did but the side of the reservoir was greased and grimed to hell.. degreaser cleaned it up). Put some coolant in, and I got a leak. It's the hose going to the throttle body. Looks like I'll be getting a bypass hose...