Newbie 3.4 DOHC/5 speed owner

Canada

Hey guys, I got the the link for this site from The 3.4 DOHC site.......anyways, I am about to buy my friends 1991 Grand Prix SE 3.4 DOHC / 5 speed and had some questions about it.

I know the typical things about the timing belt and intake gaskets.......but what about the brakes? I remember hearing something about 96+ fronts and 94+ rears.......does anyone have a link to someone who has done such upgrade? What about pads? I have Performance Friction Pads on the Beretta now......quite happy as well.

Struts? I have KYB GR2s on my Beretta and am quite happy with them.......most likely going to get a set of them too.......unless anyone else has a better suggjestion.

Springs? IIRC, Suspension Tecniquies will sell me only the front springs and I am able to get the FFP coilovers for the rear......what do you guys think of those?

What I am really after is to turbo this car.............I know there are a few guys around with 3.4 DOHC turbos............again, links?

Basically, I'm trying to apply everything I learned from the Beretta to this Grand Prix........and if you guys can point me in the right direction for more 3.4 DOHC and Getrag 284 stuff, that'd be swell.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Canada

• 93CutlassSupreme

• brian89gp

• slick

there's links about the brakes in the upgrade section of this site

our brakes blow ass

run a search too, there's a lot of posts about upgrading the brakes

i tell you what, i'd rather pry off an old rusted drum over fuck around with our rusted to shit caliper sliders and turning that fucking piston back in

i tell you what, i'd rather pry off an old rusted drum over fuck around with our rusted to shit caliper sliders and turning that fucking piston back in

... bitter? much?

... bitter? much?

you know, i'm a general motors man, i'll only buy general motors cars, but i have to motherfuck general motors about this, and i'd like to stone the enginner who designed our brakes...so, gm, :flip: suck it!

Guest TurboSedan

there is a tool at Checker you can get for $5-$10 that makes turning the piston back in extremely easy.

That tool helps...........big time.

I checked out the brake upgrade on the main page.......rather cool.

What about turbocharging?

Not sure what size I want to go with......I really don't know what sort of boost I can have. I don't forsee I problemn with 6 psi......which a T3 Super 60 would be fine with.....but I'd like to go farther.....which would then require a T40B.........anyone know what it take to get a 3.4 DOHC / 5 speed past 300 hp?

there is a tool at Checker you can get for $5-$10 that makes turning the piston back in extremely easy.

that little box tool is a piece of shit

someone told me about another tool but none of the dumbass auto parts stores know what i'm talking about when i ask for it

This wouldn't happen to be Canada from bstuff.com is it? If so, this is still94ohiogp from bstuff.com. Anyways, are you buying BEPW's GP?

For the turbo, go to http://www.brian89gp.com. Should help.

If you decide to do the rear 94+ brake upgrade, be one of the few people the actually has a working e-brake(mine works). Anyways, welcome.

At this point we really don't know what its worth..........but we think we got something figured out.

There is a bit of information there on his site........what sort of power did that turbo 3.4 make?

So how did he tune the damn thing? Just by looking at the plugs?

TO4E........thats pretty damned big........Supras use it. I wonder what A/R he used.

Maybe I'll just talk to him....

Go somethign a little bit bigger than the supra turbo, brian has the 5speed and says the ct26 starts backing shit up on the top end. As far as tuning, you can use a FMU, probably 12:1 with stock injectors, or go to zzperformance and get a mini afc. Probably want a walbro 255 fuel pump, everything pretty much has to be custom done too.

If you wanna boost it, convert it to MAF. It's gonna be a billion times easier. :)

PS: I was at BFest last year w/ the black Z34. 8)

Not really easier, just gives you a bit more lee-way.