New Mufflers, any recommendations?

SantaCruzTGP

My mufflers are shot! I hear that cutting them out entirely makes a great difference in sound quality, but what about drivability? How about Flowmasters or any other brand? Has anybody replaced their mufflers? How do they stack up? I'm going to keep the cat on.

I put Magnaflow mufflers on my STE and they sound great. They are straight through mufflers so they flow well, but they are suprisingly quiet. My stock mufflers had holes in them, so I can't really compare them to that, but they were definately quieter. I like them a lot personally. And they definately aren't going to hurt your performance any.

Shawn

i wonder what flows sound like on a turbo motor

I'll be putting some 40 series on soon, w/ no cat. So we shall see. :wink:

i've got the 40 series, just no turbo

TGP w/magnaflows and gutted cat.

That sounds really nice. Did you put them on or did Kenny? Those really give it a low rumble..

interesting...every straight-through muffler i have heard sounded RICER

That sounds really nice. Did you put them on or did Kenny? Those really give it a low rumble..

Did you listen to that sound clip. I listened to it when I was deciding on mufflers, and thats what I ended up with. I agree that most straight-through mufflers sound ricey, but not these. I like it alot. My car sounds very good at idle (but still quiet) and when you rev it up it doesn't sound like a 4 banger.

Although I am going to be doing some exhaust work in the near future, so they MAY be going away...not sure though...may be able to keep them with the new exhaust.

Shawn

Guest Anonymous

I gotta recommend glasspacks. Cheap and I think they sound good w/ no cat.

Ask gp90se what it sounded like. He rode in it...all the way to 6k.

Kenny put them on. I'm actually thinking of removing them and going to straight pipe instead. We'll see though.

Why remove them? The Magnaflows that are on the car now have a life-time warranty and they are a straight through design. There is a slight bend in them when the inlet is on the side and the outlet is centered. There is no reduction in size inside the muffler and the flow is not slowed by the internal sound packing... 8)

*edit* When they pulled those mufflers out of the box I looked in them and could clearly see through them minus the slight bend from inlet to outlet... 8)

Yea, I know their a straight through design, that's not what I'm concerned about.. I'm just wanting to toy around with a different sound.

I have no way of doing the work myself, so I'd have to have a shop do it, and since that involves money, I doubt it will happen.

Ok, I'm going to be needing exhaust work, too. No mufflers and no cat is out of the question. So what sounds the best while not sacrificing performance as far as mufflers and cats go? I'd prefer them to be pretty damn loud. I like the rummble the AWD has with the Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler, but I'd like it to be even louder in the 3K + RPM range. I'm also most likely going 3" all the way through. Unless that's too much? :shock:

Guest Anonymous

If you're mostly stock 3" is probably overkill. It won't hurt but it's not gonna help anymore than 2.5". I'm gonna try for full 3" but I also plan on doing upgrades as I go.

I'm gonna try for full 3" but I also plan on doing upgrades as I go.

Same here. I've already got the Jeff M TG 160 chip & K&N, and am planning on an FFP underdrive pulley, possibly even a FM Intercooler. We'll see how crazy I get. After everything is up and running properly on both the cars, it would be great to get more serious about a bigger turbo upgrade. I'm suprised more people (especially those capable of welding/fabricating flanges and such) haven't dived deeper into this subject. Imagine the possibilities if we can get a decent sized turbo on these cars. :shock:

Did you listen to that sound clip. I listened to it when I was deciding on mufflers, and thats what I ended up with. I agree that most straight-through mufflers sound ricey, but not these. I like it alot. My car sounds very good at idle (but still quiet) and when you rev it up it doesn't sound like a 4 banger.

Although I am going to be doing some exhaust work in the near future, so they MAY be going away...not sure though...may be able to keep them with the new exhaust.

Shawn

yes i did listen, i was surprised at the sound, literally every other car with straight through mufflers has sounded ricer as hell

it almost rumbles as much as my flows, that exhaust sounds more like a race motor while my flows sound more like a muscle car motor