transmission pan gaskets

THe_DeTAiL3R

Well I bought a kit with a rubber (or rubber/paper?) type gasket from NAPA. When I have time to get messy I'll put it on.

I changed it last like 1.5 years ago with cork gasket (from Canadian Tire :roll: ) and tightened it like 3 times but they suck balls.

Hopefully THE DAMN LEAK WILL GO AWAY!!!

The cork gaskets suck and almost always leak, regardless if you overtighten or not, IMO.I put two on my Lum they leaked after a couple weeks, re-tightening them made little improvement. This last time I went to GM and got one and it hasn't leaked since, but now the side pan has started leaking since it's been sitting. That's ok it coming out soon.

Well I changed the gasket and filter today. That little piece on the filter is always a bitch to get out of the transmission.

I took the gasket out of the package and it looks like a decent quality rubber gasket.. I've never had a problem with NAPA stuff so I think it will be fine. Tightened it the best I can (I have a long cheap torque wrench, but didn't have much room to work with it under the car) so I had to use my best judgement. After I got it done I drove the crap outta my car and parked it on a piece of plastic so I'll see to tomorrow if there are any leaks.

That 1.5 year old gasket fell apart :lol:

If I had a job I'd probably get a tranny place to do it, cause its so damn messy. I managed to make much less mess than the first time I did it, but still need to clean up tomorrow.

First time I did it I had fairly long hair (almost like Kurt Cobain) and got lots of tranny fluid in it.. after several shampooings it still smelled for 3 days :lol: I got some in my hair today as well, which I'm growing long again, so might be a day or 2 till the smell is totally washed out. :oops:

I have short hair and I still always manage to get tranny fluid in it. I hate changing tranny fluid. :x

I think it might work well to pump the tranny fluid out the dipstick tube, and then there will be a lot less to drain underneath.

I never had any luck with the cork gaskets either. I have a nice collection of them because I've learned they SUCK. Even the flat rubber ones never worked that well for me, always leaking after a few months. I always buy the GM rubber gaskets which have the nice ridge in them and the metal rings around the holes. They don't leak a drop for a LONG time. Of course, that doesn't matter now, because my tranny side pan gasket (cork) leaks terribly.

Yes, I agree taking off the transmission fluid out through the filler tube. Use a Fluid Evacuator with a hand pump in it.

Don't try to suction it on the end of the hose and hoping it will drain through gravity because it will take forever and does not remove sufficient fluid.

I use Fluid Evacuator Plus P/N 07201.

To those just want to replace the fluid and not replacing the filter then it would get a good additional tool.