3.1 V6 mtor questoin

94eurolumina2006

Should last 200,000 miles easy. My 2.8 (same thing as 3.1) has 171,000 hard-earned miles and is running strong. 300+ is not uncommon at all, really the engines outlast the rest of the car. If anything your transmission will go before the engine.

yep. change the oil at least once a year, check the fluids once in a while.. :lol:

its damn near impossible to run these things into the ground.

But seriously, as regalized said, basic maintenance and it should last a very long time, and any trouble with them we can help out.

92k here, and developing an oilpressure problem :\ But I'm tracking it, if anyone has any ideas, please tell me, I may be a good mechanic, but I have almost no experience with these 3.1s other then basic maintince

mine popped at 129k i had a shitty rebuild blow at 900 miles. you sometimes need to watch the oil pressure. sometimes the oil pumps start to wear out and you lose oil pressure gradually.. i've never done on in the car but i think it might be possible. rule of thumb. maintain it and never let it get hot.

my first motor had a oil pressure probe. but i had a bad oilpress sending unit and with a base cluster i never knew. mine threw a rod bearing right off the crank and that was the end of my nice 3.1

my first rebuild was a crap motor... my guess is that the heads were never checked for straightness and i popped a headgasket at 900 miles. the third motor I BUILT because i didn't want to have to swap another motor and i put a little more in it because i didn't want reground cam in it.

82,000 on my 1992 lumi and runs great, just a little rich. Nothing less than my synthetic i get (better that mobil one with test results and $10 a quart, but its free for me :D ) its called schaffer, and trans flush at 63,000 and coolant at 58,000 miles.

Okay.. accidentally knocked the Prix into second at 90 MPH AGAIN yesterday.. stayed there for about 2 seconds before I realized what was going on...

.. Engine and tranny still good :lol:

You can't break these damn things..

Hey remember that old Stallone movie, Lockout I think it was called. Anyways he's in jail and the warden is a real prick. Him and a bunch of other guys fix up a vintage stang and then after all that hard work the warden gets some guys to smash it with baseball bats. :(

Anyways my point is that my engine will probably last so long to the point that one day something will break on the car and that will be the last straw- and I'll lose it, and smash the shit out of it. :lol:

My 89 Grand Prix went 300,000...and then it got wrecked....the motor and trans i still have. It didnt leak or burn oil.

GEEZUS!!!

I swear if mine lasts that long i'd start trying to wreck it on purpose just to get a new car

Good thing I'm selling it :D

154k miles on my car...

engine rebuild at 105k, mom drove it.......

oil filter popped off, and dropped all the life blood onto the road.

of course, being a woman, she kept driving,

my dad followed her oil trail down the highway....

cars also been hit by a few deer, and a close encounter with a pine tree.