cone filter vs. gutted airbox (track results)

THe_DeTAiL3R

I doubt it since the stock pipes are so fricken bent at every angle, and small.. especially the stock duals on an '88.. yuck. Main pipe goes into the (expensive) right muffler, and that muffler has an outlet to go to the left muffler :roll: . The newer cars just has a simple Y pipe after the cat that goes to 2 NORMAL mufflers.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• Hippie

• jmacks92ste

• TeeJay3800

hmm...i got a question

would i loose much lowend torque using stock pipe with dual glasspacks and a gutted cat

i always though the purpose of a glasspack was to create backpressure to help pull the exhaust gasses out faster...i'm probably wrong though i dunno

The purpose of "glasspacks" is to be cheap and loud. :wink: If you are referring to the glasspack shaped "silencer" in your stock exhaust that is actually a resonator, it is suppose to cancel out certain exhaust sounds that the muffler can't without being overly restrictive. As long as you keep the factory pipe diameters you shouldn't lose any torque, it's when you go to large tubing that you run into problems. I like to use the "drinking straw" analogy, take a sip on a normal sized straw and then take a sip on one twice that size. Harder to pull your drink up with the larger straw isn't it ? Small displacement engines don't have that much "push" and need the "pull" from the exhaust gas velocity to help scavenge the exhaust, too large of a pipe reduces that gas velocity.

hmm...i got a question

would i loose much lowend torque using stock pipe with dual glasspacks and a gutted cat

i always though the purpose of a glasspack was to create backpressure to help pull the exhaust gasses out faster...i'm probably wrong though i dunno

I have a 2.5" straight pipe in place of the cat and a Flowmaster muffler. The rest of the exhaust system is stock, but along with the removed snorkel, I definetely notice a little loss of low-end. Not much, it only shows up in 3rd with the TCC engaged below 2000 rpm. I sure makes up for it in mid-range punch though! :D