cone filter vs. gutted airbox (track results)

THe_DeTAiL3R

looks exactly stock underneath the hood, I'll try to get some pictures soon of the piping underneath the car...all in all a very effective way to perform way better than the typical warm air setup! :) not to mention it keeps the stock look.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• THe_DeTAiL3R

• Hippie

• jmacks92ste

• TeeJay3800

I remember the arguments back when you made your cone/box thing. I still don't see how it would be any better than a gutted airbox with a regular K&N drop in.

I don't notice any severe loss in the low end, just a little less willingness to peel out. Plus.. that uber awesome vvrrrooooooooaaoaaaammmm sound makes up for it. I haven't had to chance to pull it out on the highway yet. We'll see how that turns out.

Cone filters will really cause a drop in the lowend. Larger exhaust /no mufflers / no Cat will also cause a drop in low end.

Larger pipes/ low restriction mufflers also tend to reduce back pressure on the exhaust system. While too much backpressure is not good, too little on these V6 engines is NOT good either. That is why it is NOT always a graet idea to slap 2.5"/3" exhaust pipes. unless you are highly modded these V6 engine do require a certain amount of back pressure to help "Pull" the exhaust out.

One thing to keep in mind about the pipe diameter..... When gases flow thru a pipe, the larger the pipe the SLOWER the gases will move thru the pipes. If you take the same amount of gases and pass it thru a smaller diameter piping, you will in effect SPEED up the flow. Speeding up the flow helps to "pull" exhaust gases from the engine.

The only engine that really benefit the most from 0-low Backpressure and an open air system are the BIG Block , High compression engines. or race prepped engines, (High lift, high compression, using high Octane fuels)

i have a cone filter and lost absolutely no low end at all.

I didn't think I did.. at least any difference I could "feel", but I wanted to prove it.. hence I went to the track and got real numbers.

maybe so, but you have a 3.1 correct? the 3.4 is a little more performance oriented, plus my cone setup is different than the typical warm air setup. just my two cents though, who knows! i swear mine has gotten better at low end if anything though. i do have the ffp chip mind you

Larger exhaust /no mufflers / no Cat will also cause a drop in low end.

Larger pipes/ low restriction mufflers also tend to reduce back pressure on the exhaust system. While too much backpressure is not good, too little on these V6 engines is NOT good either. That is why it is NOT always a graet idea to slap 2.5"/3" exhaust pipes. unless you are highly modded these V6 engine do require a certain amount of back pressure to help "Pull" the exhaust out.

One thing to keep in mind about the pipe diameter..... When gases flow thru a pipe, the larger the pipe the SLOWER the gases will move thru the pipes. If you take the same amount of gases and pass it thru a smaller diameter piping, you will in effect SPEED up the flow. Speeding up the flow helps to "pull" exhaust gases from the engine.

The only engine that really benefit the most from 0-low Backpressure and an open air system are the BIG Block , High compression engines. or race prepped engines, (High lift, high compression, using high Octane fuels)

For anyone that's doubting what he said DON'T ! He is absolutely correct.

so if i put on some less restrictive performance mufflers, then i should keep the stock 2.25" exhaust piping? what would you reccomend as far as exhaust work goes (what kinda tubing, cat, mufflers?). I am going to be doing it next week and was looking for some expert opinions :)

so if i put on some less restrictive performance mufflers, then i should keep the stock 2.25" exhaust piping? what would you reccomend as far as exhaust work goes (what kinda tubing, cat, mufflers?). I am going to be doing it next week and was looking for some expert opinions :)

For pipe diameters I'd see what some of the upper end Cat back systems like Borla are using. Personally on small displacement engines I usually don't stray too much over what the factory used. I think you'll find the factory pipes are a good compromise on diameter between low end torque and top end HP. Concentrate on eliminating any sharp bends. As far as material, if you can afford it I'd use stainless wherever possible.

On my 4.9 I'm either going 3" single split into 2.25" tail pipes or 2.25" full duals with dual cats and mufflers.

i have a cone filter and lost absolutely no low end at all.

Same here no loss , and a gain in the pull ie. keeps pulling longer as before it would nose over and level out. As for the Highway ... 85 is max mph. on speedo and it's still pulling around 90-95mph (guess) ... then I look for cops as I slow down :shock:

Well its been talked about time and time again.. as far as not noticing 'no loss in the low end' .. yeah you aren't gonna feel it with a 2.8/3.1 cause there isn't that much low end anyways. Its only maybe UP TO 0.5 second difference on the 1/4 mile with my car.. but I shall have to see when the track is better.

Some 3.4s came with a MAF and some didn't right? If you have a MAF is the IAT built in it? If its got a seperate one and its disconnected it should throw a code. I don't know if the sensor really does much though, since I drove around without mine hooked up for the longest time. Just put it on the inside of the hose somewhere I guess.

mine has no maf. is it a 3'' cone that will work. And you guys that have put cone air filtrs on how did you hook yours up did you go right to the throttel body or use the stock rubber air tube?

Thanks Don

I don't think there would be hood clearance if you were to put a cone filter right on the throttlebody.. :roll:

Mine I just had attached to my stock air hose, with a piece of ABS pipe to clamp them together.

hmm...i got a question

would i loose much lowend torque using stock pipe with dual glasspacks and a gutted cat

i always though the purpose of a glasspack was to create backpressure to help pull the exhaust gasses out faster...i'm probably wrong though i dunno