Supercharger oil

BOOSTED-W

Just got a 99 GTP, and was looking thru the owners manual. It states that the supercharger has it's own oil that needs to be changed. It says it should be done by the dealership. I can't believe this, my questions are, What steps are needed to change it? where's the fill plug? does it really need "special supercharger oil" or is it just regular oil? Thanks

Just got a 99 GTP, and was looking thru the owners manual. It states that the supercharger has it's own oil that needs to be changed. It says it should be done by the dealership. I can't believe this, my questions are, What steps are needed to change it? where's the fill plug? does it really need "special supercharger oil" or is it just regular oil? Thanks

Do not let a dealership pester you into changing the sc oil if you're competent enough to do *simple* automotive maintenance work yourself. With that being said...the supercharger does use a "special" oil, you can get it at any GM dealer. The oil comes in 4oz bottles(you'll need 2 bottles), part # is 12345982. The fill plug is a little black plug on top of the snout(end where pulley/belt are) of the supercharger. You're going to need a 3/16'' allen wrench to remove the plug. You're also going to need to have something to suck the fluid out with(a turkey baster will suffice...just suck the sc oil out until no more is in there.) WARNING: the oil is going to have a very foul smell, be prepared. :wink: :lol: Then fill the supercharger back up(a small length of vacuum hose or any other suitable hose is a good idea here so you can easily squirt the contents of the GM oil bottles into the sc..fill the supercharger up to right below the threading for the oil plug. Replace/tighten the plug and you're done, be careful not to overtighten the plug. By the way, you're probably not going to suck as much out as you'll be putting in the sc(most come underfilled from the factory). It's recommended to change the sc oil about once a year if you drive the car a good bit. Good luck!

Thanks buddy, I am a do it yourselfer. the owners manual explained about the 3/16 allen and plug, but did not say where or how much oil to put in. I have a friend working in parts at the Buick dealer, so I'll get it pretty cheap, and I have an electric oil pump from when I used to have to pump oil out of my boat to change it. P.S. how much does the dealer charge for this simple sh*t any how?

Thanks buddy, I am a do it yourselfer. the owners manual explained about the 3/16 allen and plug, but did not say where or how much oil to put in. I have a friend working in parts at the Buick dealer, so I'll get it pretty cheap, and I have an electric oil pump from when I used to have to pump oil out of my boat to change it. P.S. how much does the dealer charge for this simple sh*t any how?

I have no clue really what the dealer charges for this..I would imagine a technician would get paid for 1hr or so for this job,(although it doesn't take that long) so I'd say they would charge you like $70 + the price of the oil(in my area anyways, labor rates vary here from ~$65-75/hr depending on where you go).