what happened to this Getrag 282?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

here is the good '89 282 in my garage that i just got from Justin last week:

DSC00825.JPG

here is the '90 282 that was in my car until last September:

DSC00824.JPG

it was fine and then one day while driving at a steady 30mph in 3rd it started making horrible noises. the fluid was great until then and i always used GM Syncromesh in it. within a couple miles i was losing gears one by one and the horrible metal-to-metal grinding noises were getting louder and louder. the fluid turned black very quickly. so uh....what happened to it?

joshua

because the gears are all helical cut they load to one direction or the other, and under "too much stress" for the transmission it will overload the side bearings, eventually breaking out of the cups that they stay in, I'd guess that it's not a faulty trans, but rather too much power put thru it, for too long.

--Dave

Guest TurboSedan

dam how much power can a 210,000 mile stock 3.1 have?!?!?

i did do some street racing, not alot but some. i never power shifted, never spun the wheels around corners, never dumped the clutch. however, to be honest there were a few times when i did mad burnouts from the stoplight on smooth pavement...only a few times tho not alot.

the transmission had about 210,000 miles on it also, but was rebuilt once during its lifetime before i got it. the '88 Getrag 282 that replaced the '90 only has about 115,000 miles right now - hopefully it has alot of life left. and if that one goes out i still have the '89 Getrag 282 as a back-up.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

hmmm that's wierd, it works for me. try this one i guess:

http://www.fwdperformance.com/Store/Product.asp?IDCatalog=61&ProductID=239

description: "Heavy duty Chrome-Moly bearing support plate. The factory plate is mild steel which can deform, causing the input shaft bearing to lose it's preload and spread the gearset apart causing major destruction. Fits a465/a525/a520 ans a555 transmissions."

joshua

dam how much power can a 210,000 mile stock 3.1 have?!?!?

i did do some street racing, not alot but some. i never power shifted, never spun the wheels around corners, never dumped the clutch. however, to be honest there were a few times when i did mad burnouts from the stoplight on smooth pavement...only a few times tho not alot.

the transmission had about 210,000 miles on it also, but was rebuilt once during its lifetime before i got it. the '88 Getrag 282 that replaced the '90 only has about 115,000 miles right now - hopefully it has alot of life left. and if that one goes out i still have the '89 Getrag 282 as a back-up.

joshua

No wonder no one can find a 282, you have them all