Is this normal? Head Bolts...

Jon89le

I took my heads off, the front one in particular, and i realize that the bottom head bolt holes have coolant in them. Then i put my finger in the coolant passage and notice that the bottom of the bolt holes are hollow. This normal?

are you sure coolant didnt spill in there when the heads came off? Id be willling to bet that is what happened. Make sure to dry them up before you reassemble

Nah bro, like i said, i put my finger inside the coolant passage and touched the underneath the bolt hole and saw my finger through the coolant. All of the front bottom head bolts are like that.

hmm... interesting. So, I guess if I have to do mine I'd better coat the threads with some gasket sealant or some RTV to prevent coolant from coming up through the bolts.

When i pulled my rear head bolts i noticed like a sludgy residue on the bolts, but only some were like that, the bottom ones. I guess that was due to the Anti-Seize mixing with the coolant. I just find it wierd.