WOW, found a triple black convertible Cutlass!

GnatGoSplat

For awhile my wife was thinking about selling her Cutty and buying a new one. She wanted a triple black Cutty convertible with the "old" interior so that we could retrofit an 88-91 gauges cluster. I wanted it to be a '94 so it'd have the newer style rear calipers, park brake, etc. We sort of gave up on the idea since we figured to specifically get a 94 triple black convertible would require significant travel... and then we'd have the problem of trying to find her old Cutty a good home.

Well, I can't hardly believe it... we found a 94 triple black Cutty convertible while out house hunting. Local and everything. 118k miles. Every option except HUD. It's got leather, CD, steering wheel controls, climate control, 3.4 DOHC. It's not in perfect condition, but ok considering it's 6-years old. Asking price is $5500 which is pretty steep. Edmunds thinks Dealer Retail on it is $3700 with Private Party price being $2500. Dealer Trade-in is $1800. I was thinking to offer $3000, not sure if they'd take it though!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GnatGoSplat

• Brian P

• musthavemuzk

• Lee

ok insert newbie question here.

what exactly does triple black mean?

we stopped into the chevy dealer on wed night and they had a 94 sea green coupe for 5200. or was it a 95? anyways we just drove by it without stopping. as i am happy with mine for now. plus no moneys for another car.

always on the look though.

Monty

From a tear down I did as well as others I have heard about...the DOHC ages gracefully, just like your pushrod motor. You will probably find the cross hatching still on the cylinder walls as well as a good compression reading. Springs dont seem to have a problem with valve float even with 136k on the clock either so unless its just not running...i wouldn't worry about the motor. Yeah, normal maintenance like the belt and the alt but thats about all you need to worry about.

I have mixed feelings about the DOHC... on the one hand, I think I'd really like having something different - I don't currently have a W-body with a DOHC engine. I also like that it's got 200-something HP so it should propel that convertible with sufficient power.

On the other hand, alternators aren't as easy to replace on it as a pushrod motor, and I've never had an alternator last past 3-years. My wife doesn't notice the warning signs of a failing alt, so it usually dies somewhere far away. With the 2.8, I could quickly swap the alt on site and drive the car home. With the 3.4 DOHC, if I have to jack it up and pull wheels off, the car would need to be towed home and we live almost an hour out of town so it'd be a hefty tow fee. Plus, there's the annoying belt that needs changed, the oil pump drive that's virtually impossible to get to, and other service headaches. When I see on the boards that someone blew an engine, it's usually the 3.4 DOHC.

Well, I think I definitely wouldn't give asking price for it. Edmunds is what I'd go by pretty strictly.

why is the 3.4L DOHC a high mant....?? I figured it wouldnt be that bad if you just changed the timming belt on a Reg basis? say every 50K or so, and heck to get it changed before it brakes would probly make it cheaper to get replaced I would think.

other then that D@mn belt what would make it high mant...??

The 3.4 is high maintence for many reasons. Number one being not much at all is easy to get to. Let the oil change go a mile past 3000 and you'll hear that pump knocking like an unwanted in-law at your front door. However, I must say if you get that motor early on in its life and baby it, it should last a good long time. Problem is most people who buy cars buy them and drive them, some don't even know how to open the hood, the trick is buying the right car from the right person. In fact my friend had to sell his 92 Z34 because he could no longer afford the cost of maintaining it. Sorry to be so bleak :)

Jason

Munster, IN

1991 Olds Cutlass Supreme (3.1 and proud of it)

I went out today and looked it over again (wrote down the owner's phone # this time). Here are the pics:

PICT0133sm.jpg

PICT0134sm.jpg

Now, I'm not sure what I should offer for it realistically.

In the window, the guy's got a print out of nadaguides.com where it says:

"Average Trade In $6175; Average Retail $7800".

He is asking $5500obo.

Well, Edmunds is (I think) a lot more accurate. Edmunds says:

Average Condition

Trade In $1825; Private Party $2550; Dealer Retail $3790

Clean Condition

Trade In $2373; Private Party $3255; Dealer Retail $4743

The car has 118k miles. Every option except HUD. Now this car has some wear. Several door dings on the driver's side. The paint has lots of light scratches and needs buffed. The clearcoat is dull under the driver's door. One of the exhaust tips is a bit bent. The passenger side rear taillight needs replaced, and the quarter panel and bumper near the taillight needs to be repainted. The driver side "A" pillar panel on the outside needs repainted. The top is in okay condition, but there are some spots on the edges around the rear window that are worn so white fibers are showing. The VOLUME button on the steering wheel controls is worn completely white. The leather is not torn, but has what appears to be deep wrinkles or cracks in it. Considering that this car needs some body work (tailight especially), I would consider it to be closer to Edmund's "Average" condition than "Clean".

What do you think? I'm going to go test drive it Sunday at 3pm. Would a $3000 offer be insulting, or about right?

you tell him, after u drive it, that when he realizes nobody is buying it for months and it's just sitting, to call you immediatly! With body damage and rough edges, I'd say your offer is right on the dot!

i am with Brian.

might wanna have a print out of your own in your back pocket to show your point of view.

there is also http://www.kbb.com kellys blue book

while it sounds good. once you came back with pics and some more details on its condition. i would not be offering what he is asking.

good luck

Monty

If he's insistent about getting more than you want to pay and you're still thinking of buying it...I'd hit him up for a guarentee of labor on the alt for one year.

I keep thinking about the 3.4 and would have to at least bug the dealer about it, never hurts.

As to him being insulted by price, my old friend offers rediculous prices for cars and sometimes the guy is afronted and won't even talk to him. But other times he walks away with a steal. He paid $2800 for my Regal in 1997 with a driver side front fender dent and a hood crimp in that corner. I paid him $3300 a week later.

Well, we went and looked at it. It seems to have a whole lot of things that need work:

- The gray fake woodgrain on the switchplate is worn off in spots so silver aluminum shows through. It will need to be replaced.

- The dome/maplight assembly on the roll bar will need to be replaced as it has cracks on it and the buttons don't push in like they're supposed to.

- Aftermarket alarm system was clicking away the whole time, I think it needs removed.

- One bracket is broken on the convertible top so it doesn't go all the way down smoothly.

- one of the rear window switchplates was sticking out and needed to be pushed back in.

- Passthru door broken off.

- Center arm rest needs recovered.

- Shifter is super duper loose and sloppy, I think the assembly needs replaced.

- Gas pedal is super loose, I think the spring in the throttle body needs replaced.

- Engine was surging when it was cold (he claimed it was due to having been washed and water got in the spark plug areas).

- I had to crank it twice to get it started.

- The 3.4 DOHC is more powerful than the 2.8, but it doesn't seem nearly as powerful as the one in my friend's 95 Monte Z34, so I think it may be out of tune or maybe the cams are out of time. Or perhaps a bad FPR?

Although I was tempted to offer him less, I went ahead and offered him $3000 anyway. I gave him the printouts from Edmunds showing how $3000 is more than reasonable. He said, "well, that's almost half of my asking price." After a lengthy silence, he said "Give me your name and number and I'll think about it".

good luck

not sure i would be buying it, but since you already have drivable cars this could be a project for you to work on.

i would love more than one car but can only drive one at a time. so i only have one.

Monty

Are you looking for a fixer upper? It sounds like the car was owned by a half rich #ss who just beat the crap out of it. They probably took $1500 on a trade in cause they knew it was done for. And didn't care because they had money to play with. He's probably out thrashing another sweet car to his hearts content.

I looked at a 94 CS in black/graphite 2 years ago. The guy wanted $4700 for it. It looked as if it had spent its life behind a gravel truck. Broken fog light, headlight, paint abraided right off the whole nose and airdam area, scratches all over, some really deep. The engine, which should have had way more power than my 91, was tired, really tired. The interior was great though. I told him it'd be hard to give him even $3000 and he balked at me. I told him my 91(Regal) was 3 times the car even dented and that he should test drive both to see what I mean. He balked again saying that the guy who drove it 130 miles from the cities loved it and said if he needed a car he'd have bought it. I was thinking no way!

The dealer may call you but from all I've read of your posts and web site..this ain't the one for you. Start sweet and personalize/perfect. I get hooked on needful cars also but persevere...your's is still out there being treated like a prize by somebody.

Lee

Actually, this guy is not claiming to be a dealer. The car is just parked in a business parking lot with a "For Sale" tag taped to the windshield and the guy's home and cell phone #'s.

He says he bought it with 26k miles on it and bought himself a used Cadillac. Then his wife drove it back and forth to town every day. I don't know if I believe his story just because the car has a high school parking permit on the windshield and the guy lives in a different city. It also has a college parking permit on the windshield as well. Seems to me the car was driven by a younger person. I'm still trying to find someone with a Carfax account that can run the VIN so I can verify that he's the original owner. He claims to have bought the car a long time ago to relive his more youthful days, but he talks like a used car dealer.

The rest of the paint and body is in fairly good condition.

Well, it's not unusual for me to buy a fixer upper. I know there are Cutty convertibles in better condition, but this one being triple black is very important. My wife says her dream car is a triple black Cutty convertible... any other color combo and she's not interested. We saw a dark green one with tan top - she didn't even want to look at it. The triple black ones are definitely rare, especially locally.

stories sure don't match the facts you are seeing Shawn.

about the car fax thing....on occasion i see ppl asking someone to run one for them. is this something that takes a paid account to be able to do? or can anyone do it?

Monty

I saw a Triple Black 94 Drop-Top by my house. I don't know how many miles, or how much the dealer wants for it, but the car is in mint condition, it has absolutely NO dings on it, and the top is flawless.

It's a "special edition" (it has the chicago skyline on the door) and it's a DOHC.

I like in Burbank, IL, the car is in Oak Lawn, I believe. It's a beautiful car, I would buy if in a heartbeat if I had the money.

I'll try to get some more info on it today! :)

-MaD-

stories sure don't match the facts you are seeing Shawn.

about the car fax thing....on occasion i see ppl asking someone to run one for them. is this something that takes a paid account to be able to do? or can anyone do it?

Monty

It takes a paid account.

I had a guy run a Carfax for me, I guess the guy's story checks out. He's had the car since 26,770 miles. Weird, either the stickers are really REALLY old and he never removed them (lazy) or he let his daughter drive it as her primary car.

Geez, what-fuckin'-ev.

So I called the place up to get some info on the car...

I got the VIN, and it's 1G3WT35X3RD324106 (someone wanna look that up?)

It has 61,476 miles on it.

Then, I asked the price...

he said "Seventeen-Hundred"...

As I'm digging for my check-book, I said "really!?!?!"

and he's like "whoops, I mean $7,900, my name is..."

So I hung up the phone...

And that's how it went down, man.

Oh well, next time :-\

-MaD-

Well Shawn, here is my opinion on your situation with the triple black. Like you, I am a diehard W-Body guy, they are the cars I love and the cars I want, not something else. A while back I looked at your list of W-Bodies to have, and I must say that I have the exact same list, only perhaps just different colors. My list is a black regal GS (albeit with a 5 speed and a turbo 3.1 but they didn't make one so I'm doing it myself), a Black Lumina Z34 5-speed, a red TGP (or a white STE), and a triple WHITE Cutty convertible. So far I have the Lumina Z34 and the Regal GS. When I can afford it and have the place to put them, I WILL get the other two. The opportunity to own the triple black is not something that presents itself often, and not to metnion you have the added benefit of it being your wife's car. If my GF was into W-Bodies, I'd for sure have the TGP by now. The 3.4 is not all that bad, just requires you to have knowledge, and its obvious you do. You have your TGP, so why not get one step closer to your dream list. I know I was iffy before I took a loan to buy my Z34 last year, both about the $$ and the engine and not knowing the car, but if you feel comfortable after looking it over that it is something you can handle...why wait? You only live life once. I think that once you find the right one (perhaps this is it...all the "defects" amount to nothing more than a little elbow grease and a good amount lopped off the asking price, my Z34 was the same way), you should go for it. Worst come to worst, clean it up and sell it for $1000 more. Once its gone its gone, and then you'll be dreaming for how many more years????

Yeah, I sure would like the car, but I told myself I'm not paying a penny more than $3k and I'm sticking with it. :)

Maybe he's already sold it, I really don't know!

I'm not going to call him, because I don't want him to think I really want it.