"hotwiring" stereo...

THe_DeTAiL3R

My ignition does not turn backwards, for the stereo to work. Neither does the ignition in my old steering column, so I don't want to spend money on getting that shit fixed again.

Is there a way I can "hotwire" a switch to my stereo so I can flick it on when the car is off? I remember our old '89 Jetta the stereo was manual- as in you could have it on without a key or anything.

yeah, i did that in my freind zack's 97 Cavvy before we wrecked it, we spliced an extra 12V wire into the back of the stereo, on a spst switch, and you click the switch, it gets power from the constant 12V, turn the key, it draws it from the radio Circuits, oh, and as a cheap insurance policy, fuse this wire, i don't want you blowing up that nice K-wood head.

yeah, i did that in my freind zack's 97 Cavvy before we wrecked it, we spliced an extra 12V wire into the back of the stereo, on a spst switch, and you click the switch, it gets power from the constant 12V, turn the key, it draws it from the radio Circuits, oh, and as a cheap insurance policy, fuse this wire, i don't want you blowing up that nice K-wood head.

what he said....a rocker is the name of the switch you need

put a piece of wire between the red and yellow wires behind the stereo, it keeps the radio on at all times, you just have to remember to shut it off (using the off switch on the radio itself). Every 1 of my cars has it that way and ive yet 2 leave the radio on.

-Jeff

no prob badass, and 90se, you're lucky, zack has had like 10 dead batterys from that kind of setup... of course he has the attention span of a squirrel...

oh, badass, you got pics ?