who will make me a 5-speed chip?

Marcus18

I a few days from being done with my swap. I'd like my speedo to read right. so any of you willing to burn me one in a few months or so?

marcus

Guest TurboSedan

i don't think Jeff M makes a chip for a TGP with a 5-speed, there probably just aren't enough Turbo 3.1/5-speed cars around to justify making them - i'm not sure.

people with a Turbo 3.1/5-speed are pretty much on there own as far as chips go. check out gmpcm.com or the chip tuning section on the TGP forum. other than Kenny and Jay, i'm not really sure who else has succussfully edited a TGP chip for use with a 5-speed. i haven't looked into it much yet but i'm sure i will be after i get my Turbo 3.1/Getrag 282 in my Cutlass. it sounds really interesting/fun, but i'm sure you'd really have to know what you're doing before actually using it in your car. i wouldn't want to do it without Diacom so i could monitor everything.

joshua

Jeff M. did not make the chip that's in Lukez34's TGP(formerly kenny's). I have a copy of the .bin that Kenny and Mick made using the AZRC codeset. I got the .bin from god910 IIRC, and he would probably be willing to make one for you if you ask him. I don't want to be distributing chips that I haven't tested as it could kill your motor. Now, I'm not saying that Mick and Kenny didn't test the manual chip!! I'm saying that it's been floating around a lot and I don't know if anyone else has made changes to it. I'm just saying that I don't want someone coming back to me with a blown engine as I want to keep as many turbo 3.1s alive as possible. I haven't gotton around to comparing the 282 chip to the stock chip(they said the based it off of the AZRC code) as I haven't had time. Within the next couple of months I will have a 5 speed chip done for my car(getrag 284) and it will be tested extensively as I have Diacom and I plan on running a WB02 as well. I'm hoping that Mick comes out with the $8f patch that allows you to run the WB signal through the computer so that it can be recorded with diacom so that you don't have to have 2 different logging devices. 8) :D

Yeah, I didn't read Skalor's post first. The chip I sent him is the EXACT copy from Kenny. I will have it stream logged as long as my ass can keep from rebuilding the engine before I get the WB-02 finished.

The chip I sent him is the EXACT copy from Kenny.

Now please realize that I sent the .bin (or full chip don't remember) to the guy you bought your TGP from was one of the first versions of the chip. The chip in Luke's car is what I guess we could call the "final" version after quite a few tweaks were done after driving with it at high altitude (6009' and above sea-level). As I told EVERYONE who got either a chip or the .bin it was an experimental version to accomidate the 5-Speed swap... 8)

Looks like I'ma hafta bring my chip stuff to the 04' meet, and I'll have to make sure Luke is there too. :wink: I'd like to compare the two. The more and more I sit still the more I am likely to rebuild the engine and put a few supertopsecret goodies into Black Sunshine. But I'm afraid A) I'll screw around too long and start late and won't be able to get it done in time. OR B) I start now and still won't even have the damn thing all put back together by then. I guess we'll see. I know if it's not Indy like I hoped then Sunshine might not make it. (I've been calling the damn thing strip duty as of late. Just to let you know how I feel about it. :lol: )

Which 04' meet? I plan on making the Chicago/Milwaukee (sp?) GP/W-body meet, but don't know what else I'll be able to do as of now.

hmm...hey Luke or Kenny...what kind of 0-60 or 1/4 mile times you getting with that 5 spd...just curious...i just want to see if the getrag 282 has a speed advantage

anyone else with a 5spd can chime in

Guest TurboSedan

anyone else with a 5spd can chime in

well i don't have my 'V' motor in yet, and i have never taken my car to the track....but i noticed a BIG gain in acceleration after installing the Getrag 282. my 4T60 shifted WAY too late (like most) and it was a slug off the line. going from 1st to 2nd with an auto really sucked when racing. besides that the auto weighs a ton more than the Getrag. even with my 215,000 mile NA 3.1/Getrag, i have quite a problem with traction. mine will spin all the way thru 1st and bark them good going into 2nd (when i hammer it). with a turbo i would imagine traction would be a huge problem. a Getrag 282 from a HO Quad-4 N-body would be really nice because 1st isn't so steep, but you'd have to swap the bellhousing out of course.

can you tell i really like my 5-speed :) twisty canyon roads are alot of fun with a manual transmission.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan
all this Turbo 5-speed chat is making me all worked up................going to have to call and put a rush on my engine part mods and get my ass in gear and get this thing going....... :D

same here! right now my 'V' engine is sitting on an engine stand in my brother's garage....which is WAY too messy and so full of parts that i wouldn't dare start taking it apart yet. i should have my own garage soon and then i can start resealing it - i can't wait! it's been sitting in the garage since i bought it last June!

my T2 Turbo Dodge 4cyl is on another stand right beside it, also waiting for a reseal job....the TGP engine will be first tho :wink:

joshua

Which 04' meet? I plan on making the Chicago/Milwaukee (sp?) GP/W-body meet, but don't know what else I'll be able to do as of now.

Well it just so happens that I plan on being there as well. Now I HAVE to get the TGP up and running. I've been thinking that instead of a rebuild, maybe a new cam/lifters and an engine gasket set. That should get me by for awhile. I think my engine noise is from the cam.

Luke's 5-speed ran a 15.2. He was a very ill experienced driver in this car htough. It was capable of a falt 15, but it lost power in third. LAck of high end. Compared to the TGP I just test drive, this car hauled. It just takes off so fast. It's 0-60 is no doubt into the 6s easily. Any rpm, it just goes. I was highly impressed. Might be a reason I'm test driving them...