Break Caliper Bolts

Dan94Z34

I almost want to say they're T55. Now that's the caliper bracket, the caliper itself just has regular old 13mm or 15mm bolts. The big T55 bolts are what needs to be removed if you want to take off your rotor.

I also vote T-60.

I don't know if I could recommend a Lisle bolt. That's what I have... one broke, and my current one has an obvious twist in it. It'll probably break soon. Glad I have a spare!!!

Actually GnatGoSplat, I don't think I've ever found a manufacturer that makes a good Torx bit. Its just dumbass design. Just make sure to get one with a lifetime waranty. :lol: :lol: Plus I'd also like to vote for T60

well this past fall late when i went to change rotors on the front of my cutlass i snapped the first one like a twig. using only a 1/2" ratchet. no bar yet.

took it back and they swapped it no questions asked but have not tried again to see if the new one is better.

ended up just doing pads and not pads and rotors as i wanted to.

the torx bit is a great design, but i think it was not a good choice for this application.

Monty

I bought the Snap On one. (well, he gave it to me to try out and then dissapeared completely) It's nasty ass huge, but haven't had problems yet. If you wanna go the cheap route (I think it's like $25) Ask your snap on man for a REPLACEMENT T-60 bit for their socket. Then you just use a socket on the end of it. I guess I'll have to take a pic of it, it's badass. Check the WWW (Random crap area)

EDIT: The big splined thing on the end is the head to my Matco Profile Plus 1/2" ratchet, so don't pay attention to it. But the rest is all Torx. 8)

i have a set of snap-on torx sockets, super heavy duty #1 ;)

the caliper pins are 3/8" allen, bracket bolts are t60 torx(or whatever allen you pound in there and change them to permanently). heat up the bracket with a torch where the torx bolts thread in prior to breaking off your torx socket, they should come out semi easy

Yeah, your right Monty it was a bad choice for that application. I think its a bad choice with anything thats over the size of a wood screw. Works really well with small applications, kicks Phillips heads screws ass all over the place, but bigger than that. I haven't found an application that a regular hex head bolt or an allen bolt wouldn't have worked better.

heat up the bracket with a torch where the torx bolts thread in prior to breaking off your torx socket, they should come out semi easy

now why did i not think of that?

thanx for the tip Pat.

Monty

use non hardening thread locker along with a good torque wrench set to proper torque and you will never have another problem with breaking sockets or torx bits.... guys with a size 18 collar and a size 2 hard hat will use an air ratchet and f--- it all up for the next guy to do the maintenance. just my 2 cents....

When I changed my brakes I used a T60 torx bit on a ratchet and to add leverage I used a pipe on the ratchet handle and I hit it with my foot. Oh yeah and I also used alot of WD40 , it worked good. Also after this remember to use antiseize on the bolts so it'll be easier to take them out the next time.