Ever need to change sub frame mounts?

J

Do we ever need to do this? If so would poly mounts be better? Some guy over at efi asked this and so did and and got no answers sooo here goes again. Also please take a look at my post about my car and it's bad idle, c'mon guys someone has to know. Later Jay

I know is Texas they do, but that is because people drive into the Gulf (salt water) and it eats away at them. I know that there was a retainer recall, but as to the bushings them selves, I don't know. I don't think it would hurt to try it though.

Taylor

the rubber will dry rot over time, so ya somewhere along the line its gonna need done. just like 67-81 camaros do. just like the camaros, im guessing a solid aluminum or polyurethane set of bushings would be better and allow less chassis flex than the rubber stockers do. problem for w-bods is that they may have to be custom made. im planning to make some billet aluminum ones for mine to install in the spring, i have the stock. probably a very hard plastic could also work, like that used in body lift kits for trucks. if you find a couple of those spacers for that, and use a bandsaw or possibly a chop saw with a woodcutting blade, you could make your own bushings.

Ummm, trying to remember what the recall replaced. I think it was the bushings and retainer bolt, and retainer, but I don't remember. I'll dig the reciept out and take a look

actually, the reciept was in my desk drawer right in front of me...

here is what it says under the work order word for word:

A CAMPAIGN 00061 REPLACE FRONT AND REAR CRADLE

BOLTS

CAUSE: RECALL

V0556 REPLACED BOTH FRONT AND REAR CRADLE

BOLTS.

1462 W98

4 10220561 BOLT/SCRE

2 10203413 RETAINER-

2 10203412 RETAINER-

FC: 96

PART#: 10220561