3.1 L alternator

DOHCZ34

I just picked up a 92 grand prix LE that needs an alternator, and was wondering how in the heck do i get the bottom bolt off that holds the alt. on? does anyone have any trick on doing this? btw i searched and found nothing on this subject or how to get the bottom bolt out. thanks a lot.

DOHC

Guest TurboSedan

i usually just take the alternator bracket off with the alternator still attatched to it. only 3 bolts (they go into the rear head) and they are really easy to get to.

joshua

never done it that was but it would work.

easy in warm weather as all things under hood are moveable. but with cold things tend to be stiffer.

takes some patience and time and a ratchet with the right socket. that is how i have done the one on my 90 cutlass with the 3.1, almost had to climb on the motor from the front to do it too.

you must have got the one from mnracing.org for sale section huh?

sure would have like to have that. oh well

Monty

I just picked up a 92 grand prix LE that needs an alternator, and was wondering how in the heck do i get the bottom bolt off that holds the alt. on? does anyone have any trick on doing this? btw i searched and found nothing on this subject or how to get the bottom bolt out. thanks a lot.

DOHC

I usually, tilt the motor forward and rock the alternator all the way back touching the firewall to get to that bolt. Very easy that way

yes that would be easy but seems like alot of work for a single bolt Robby.

Monty

It is, but Ive done it so many times, (4 alternators in 16 months) that Ive gotten used to it. I really dont want to take the bracket off, Im afraid I would scrape the paint off my valve covers

i always just used a 6" extension and had no problems with it, even with the engine not rocked forward. maybe i'm just not opposed to bleeding a little to get the job done

the dohc alternator is a different story - whew!

all those alts in your GP Robby?

or just ones you have worked on?

i would prefer to not bleed when workin on my car, but it has happened and i have lived.

Monty

Yep all in my GP and I dont even have a system. Fucking shitty ass rebuilds. I never bleed, unless its below freezing