loud noise when reversing and turning

godofthunder

Ok...this has happened for a while

but when i turn, in reverse (like backing into a spot), sometimes the car maks a weird grinding noise, and feel it in the steering wheel too. Its gotten slightly worse over time, but if i do the same turn again, it may not do it. I think something is rubbing, but what? IT feels like metal, but could it be the tires?

Also...my steering is quite loose. Not that its bad...but its just no where near as tight as the 98 MC i testdrove. What could that be?

jon

Check the bolts that hold the calipers in place. If one of them is loose, it will come out of place in reverse and cause the pads to grind against the rotor, making a nasty grinding noice that you'll be able to feel in the steering.

As for the steering, well, these cars don't exactly turn on a dime, but I'd check to see if the power steering pump might be leaking/low on fluid.

PS was low...but not leaking as far as I can see. When i filled it up...didnt do much either. It may just be that variable effort sterring, i didnnt know if it was supposed to be this loose though..

Ill check all the bolts on the calipers. Im due for breaks soo too...the rear shakes more than J. Los.

The fender liner was loose once, i poped it back into place. there is a spot thats been worn down....but this really sounds like metal, not plastic. Well, it sounds more solid, ill say that

jon

I've had the same problem with my Z34 for a while now. It makes a rubbing noise when you reverse sometimes. :? I don't have any idea what it could be, but I'm sure any help would be greatly appreciated for me and godofthunder.

it has happened once going foward...slow.

It only seems to do it when im going slow, reverse, and a tight angle.

How much is a CV joint usually? and the labor? Any way i can test?

jon

i had a grinding noise in reverse so i stopped the car after going backwars and the bottom bolt of the caliper mount had come off and the caliper was flipping up and grinding against the inside of the wheel.

definitely not an "i wouldnt worry about it too much" problem

Well, in that case yeah, its something to worry about. If you check everything and it all looks good, THEN I wouldnt worry about it too much. I just assume when people hear a noise they check stuff out first

Guest TurboSedan

i have a noise sometimes too when i back up, but it's not really a grinding it's more of a groan. doesn't happen very often tho. i assume it has to do with the rear brakes (94+) but my rear brakes appear to be fine :?:

joshua

Well, in that case yeah, its something to worry about. If you check everything and it all looks good, THEN I wouldnt worry about it too much. I just assume when people hear a noise they check stuff out first

you give people too much credit ;)

you give people too much credit ;)

'Tis true, lololol. I should probably watch that!

yeah...better...its more of a groan. Just think of some metal, rubbing slowly...without lube. Heavy pressure too.

Its not the caliper hanging down. If it was...my inside wheel would be scratched like hell (since this is lasted 2 yrs)....and nothings wrong

jon