Timing chain

NORBI

How often should you change chains on cars because i know about the belt is about 70k

A mechanic once told me that after 100k the timing should be replaced. Not because of the chances of it breaking but for timing chain stretch.

When I replaced my timing chain at 120,000 miles it had quite a bit of slack. The new chain had as much slack w/o the tentioner as the old one had with it.

I don't know about the Chrysler but the Aurora has a chain. The Aurora might be a non-interference engine, so the valves won't bend if the chain breaks.

I wouldn't worry alot about timing chains, It's not that common that they actually break. I know of a few cars that have over 200,000 miles on the original chain.

I wouldn't worry alot about timing chains, It's not that common that they actually break. I know of a few cars that have over 200,000 miles on the original chain.

I have to agree that chains typically don't break.

What usually lets go is the cam sproket. Especially if the engine has one of those "silent" plastic/aluminum cam sprokets. The teeth get stripped right off.

Chains do stretch however. Add this to a silent sprocket and you have a recipe for failure.

• 7 years later...

my 88 cavaliers timing chains guide broke and cause my chain to stretch. i ourchased a new chain and guide and my camshaft and crankshaft timing marks will not line up..what does this mean?

New chain, old sprockets??? Not recommended.

The sprockets must align. Apparently you don't have the engine far enough apart yet. Must remove pushrods so cam can turn without pushing the valves into the pistons. If you've already tried to force the cam to turn...you may now have bent valves.

Once you can turn the camshaft, align the cam and crank gears, install chain and guides.

"I" would then degree the camshaft; but most folks don't. It's easy for the camshaft to be up to ten degrees away from where it should be in relation to the crankshaft; two-to-four degrees is moderately common. You won't know FOR SURE unless you check. Less than two degree error is probably not important for a grocery-getter.