TB bypass

no1kicker

The way I look at it is if you are trying to get every last bit of performance out of your car then do it. If you are just a daily driver that like to put your foot down every once in a while in a little light to light race you might as well do it since you're already messing with the tstat. If you are a to and from work driver, don't bother.

Cauz ya have all the piping on there from the turbo, i doubt any water is going to end up in the TB, so id say I wouldnt go outta ya way to do it, but if u have to pull the TB anyways, kill it.

BTW, you dont happen to have a part number for the bypass hose, i made my own and it didnt work 2 well :lol:

-Jeff

Dayco and Goodyear both make the hose to bypass the TB. Just give the auto store the GM part # and have them do a crossreference. You will have to trim a couple inches off the longer end of this hose to make it fit good, just make sure you mark the correct length and don't take to much off. You also just leave the piping open on the bottom of the TB or you can cap them off if you'd like, I have had no problem with anything getting in those pipes on the TB. If you do any fourwheeling in the mud then you might have a problem with the piping on the TB. HA HA!!!

Thanks for the input, I'll go ahead and do it while I'm draining the coolant anyways. I tried cross referencing at pep boys and autozone and they both said they couldn't get it. Would you have a part number for us?

A 90* copper elbow will work just fine (can't remeber if it was 1/2" OD or 5/8" OD). Used one on TWalt's TGP when I did the head work and cross-over. You will need to slightly bend the pipe coming from the T-stat area to get the 90* elbow to match up perfectly with the other side of the TB heater hose. If I remember correctly I had to cut the original hoses completely off and replaced with a silicon hose I had on hand. Worked perfect using the original clamps too... 8)

Lemme put it this way davis... The TB bypass is so hot coolant doesn't flow across part of your TB. (It's like 1") There is no power added by this mod, but w/ the TB bypassed, I can pull the plenum w/o unhooking the TB AT ALL. I can put new upper gaskets on in about 20 min. I can pull injectors in about the same time. Main reason to do it is to ease removal of the upper intake for repairs underneath. IMHO. I just used some random piece of hose I had left over from an old formed heater hose from the Cutty. I went to the dealer and he didn't know what I was talking about and we couldn't find it in any pics (I think I remember someone say it wasn't widely known by the dealer guys) ALSO, when you are in there, just remove the coolant part becuase water or other random things can get in the coolant passage and possibly corrode and make a mess. It's only two torx bit bolts and has no adverse effects.

10115742 is the L-shaped hose used to bypass the heater. you will also need a couple clamps to make it work. http://www.GMpartsdirect.com has it listed for $6.95 but the shipping is more than that, bringing the total to over $14 for 2 inches of hose. Probably be better off going to the dealer.

go to autozone/advanced auto/bumper to bumper/etc.! it's like $2.30 at any parts store..usually listed as a "bypass hose"..I had to trim one from the dealer once(cousin bought it..I wouldn't pay $12 for a piece of hose) and I had to trim mine that I picked up from autozone or wherever I got it.

Ok, I couldn't picture what any of you were talking about with the TB bypass, until I removed the upper intake today to check my intake gaskets and injectors.

I took the GM part number up to Advance, and they weren't able to cross reference it. But, they did have a listing in their computers for a 'Bypass Hose', and when selecting that, it told them to refer to the paper catalog. There was nothing of the sort in the paper catalog.

I finally know what the TB coolant lines look like. What's the possibility of using one of short hoses that goes to the TB coolant inlet and just connecting it to the other pipe?

Kenny, can you elaborate more on the copper elbow that you used?

Ok, I couldn't picture what any of you were talking about with the TB bypass, until I removed the upper intake today to check my intake gaskets and injectors.

I took the GM part number up to Advance, and they weren't able to cross reference it. But, they did have a listing in their computers for a 'Bypass Hose', and when selecting that, it told them to refer to the paper catalog. There was nothing of the sort in the paper catalog.

I finally know what the TB coolant lines look like. What's the possibility of using one of short hoses that goes to the TB coolant inlet and just connecting it to the other pipe?

If you use a straight piece of hose, it will kink in the middle. You have to get a pre-formed 90* angle bend.

Luke, autozone has the hose in stock most of the time and it's simply listed as a "bypass hose" there as well..you might want to try a different year car..I know I've got one for my 93 and for a 92 GP w/ 3.1 there before..the turbo is probably throwing them off :wink:

If you use a straight piece of hose, it will kink in the middle. You have to get a pre-formed 90* angle bend.

Exactly. All I did was take the 90* and put it in place to make the TB coolant circuit complete. There is a hard pipe that runs from the front of the water neck and then wraps around to the back to hook via hose to the TB. Take that pipe and slightly bend it more vertical so the 90* elbow will then go striaght to the onther side of the TB coolant line to complete the circuit instead of it going into the TB... 8)

heh, I had Advance look up the bypass hose for the 93 3.1, and it came up as 5/8" ID bulk hose..

I think I'll just hit up Ace this afternoon and pick up a 90* elbow. 8)

I got mine finished.

Kenny's idea worked out great, and I have yet to see a drop of coolant.

I need to go check the coolant levels in the car though, I didn't get that much coolant rushing out of the lines, so it leads me to wonder.

I removed the coolant block from the TB.. and, that's gotta be the most retarted thing I have ever seen. :roll:

Considering how much they want for these "TB bypass kits" spend 20 cents at Home Depot and you are finished... 8)

So did you feel a 20-30 HP increase with that "mod"? :naughty: Just kidding, but you know the rice boys would swear to it! :roll: I would recommend that you insulate your charge piping from the intercooler to the TB now! 8)

heh, I had Advance look up the bypass hose for the 93 3.1, and it came up as 5/8" ID bulk hose..

I think I'll just hit up Ace this afternoon and pick up a 90* elbow. 8)

Sorry a little late entering in here. What I found on a couple of TGPs I have done is the 90 degree rubber el that is already there on one of the heater hoses can be just turned around from facing the TB heater block and onto the other metal heater pipe. Whatever approach works, gets it done, and using a new 90 rubber el is better too! As I think you found the amount of area the TB heater block covers of the lower TB is pretty small, the long upper black metal intake pipe soaks up more heat off the turbo and exhaust in that area, that can be fixed with some ceramic cloth wrapped around it, just soak this cloth stuff in water, attach one end tight with a tie-warp, run the cloth around overlapping the ends, pull it snug as your proceed down the pipe, when you get to the end, try and terminate it where it will now show like under the viewable pipe area, tie-wrap and let dry for a few hours, replace the plastic tie-wraps with wire, stick into the b-b-q grill at low heat/250 degrees for a ½ an hour, remove the wires and she’s well done.

Jeff M

....a thought just popped into my head. I wonder is we could gain anything by running something cold through the TB like dry ice chilled water or something cold what ya think?

marcus