PCV valve replacement

93CutlassSupreme

i highly doubt the PCV valve has ever been changed on my car, so i figure it is time to change it.

i rocked the engine foreward, and i could not get to it. is it possible to reach it and replace it by just rocking the engine foreward, or do i have to pull the plentum, or perform some other insanely difficult procedures considering how much the valve itself costs, or what?

thank you for any help you have to offer

yeah, you can get it from the rear without taking the plenum off, Ive done it before. But, that was with a fresh, new, flexible, PCV hose on the valve. Given that you said it hasnt been replaced, your hose is going to be so brittle, if you bend it, it will break, then you are taking off your plenum. However, taking off the plenum takes like 10minutes, 9 bolts, and you can even leave the TB and linkage attached, just move it out of the way. Then you have access to the valve, and where it attaches under the plenum, so go ahead and replace the tube too. Also, since you have a 93, you have the metal plenum gaskets, so you can *probably* reuse them. If the rubber around the ports looks bad when you take it off, replace the gasket, the set is like $13, then $3? for the valve, then $1 for the tube and your set. Very easy. Also, if you when you get the valve off, it rattles when you shake it, its still good. If the the rattle is muffled or slow, or nonexistant, replace it. Have fun!

For the 3.4-

It is located right by the EGR, it goes right into the plenum there, all you have to do is remove the clamps and replace it, have fun!

arent those like 5 or 10 bucks anyway? i think once you get it off id just go and buy a new one and stick it in, they arent that expensive, and after going through all that work it would seem just sensable to replace it, i mean, if its never been replaced before, what the worst that could happen with a new one?

You have to tilt the plenum a little bit so you can get access to the PCV hose and loosen then remove the hose. Be very careful when tilting the plenum to get the PVC hose because I've broken my vacuum hose while doing and now I connected it back using an aquarium air hose.

Replace your PVC hose with a fuel hose. I got mine from Advance Autoparts which is about 1 foot long and I have to use about 5" or so in length.

i'll have to check my manual, but i believe that you're suppossed to change the PCV every 30,000 or 60,000 miles. I think it's 30,000 b/c i did it when my car turned 60,000. I'll check my Haines manual and get back to you guys.

anyone know for sure if the pletnum gasket is reusable on my 93' 3.1 multiport?

so i don't have to remove the throttle body? if i leave it on, is there enough 'give' in the throttle linkage to move it around to get to the valve and line? or would it be a better idea to dissconnnect the linkage, or remove the throttle body, or both? if so, how would i go about doing either, or both?

anyone know for sure if the pletnum gasket is reusable on my 93' 3.1 multiport?

so i don't have to remove the throttle body? if i leave it on, is there enough 'give' in the throttle linkage to move it around to get to the valve and line? or would it be a better idea to dissconnnect the linkage, or remove the throttle body, or both? if so, how would i go about doing either, or both?

It should be reusable, since its a 93. If the gasket it metal, then its reuseable, ONLY if the rubber around the ports isnt damaged.

i know my plentum has been off once, when the fuel injectors were changed, so i guess if it was reusable, it probably isn't now. how many times can you reuse a reusable gasket?

i know my plentum has been off once, when the fuel injectors were changed, so i guess if it was reusable, it probably isn't now. how many times can you reuse a reusable gasket?

It depends. Ive reused mine now twice, but Ive seen some have to be replaced the first time

my gm service manual says to use a new one

i'll find out when i pull the pletnum when it starts to warm up outside

i am so tired of this cold weather!