Power mirror disassembly?

GnatGoSplat

Anyone have any idea how to disassemble a power mirror?

The one on the 94 is shifting every time the door is shut.

I think they come apart, because I see in the parts catalog that the motor assembly and glass can be removed from the mirror, but the service manual doesn't say how.

I know there are two screws on the bottom of the housing that hold the motor unit in place and the mirror is held in by some sort of plastic thingys. Some guy knock out my drivers side mirror once but didnt brake any thing so I know the mirror can be adjusted.

Oh, cool, thanks!

I had no idea there were screws on the bottom. I just checked, and there are!

At some point the mirrors were redesigned. There are no screws on the bottom of the mirrors on my '89, and its mirrors look identical but are made of metal while the 94 has plastic mirrors.

well if you have a power mirror without the screws its still possible to remove it but challenging to not break it in the process. the screws for that kind are directly behind the mirror. some have 3 in a triangle shape, some just have 2 twards the bottom insides. unless you have some kinda wackly elbow bend screwdriver they are almost impossible to get to without breakin something.

To get at screws like that you have to pull the mirror glass out. I just did it on a Dodge minivan.

You need a heat gun, a couple of plastic sticks and a whopping buttload of patience.

I need to check and see if the mirror glass is mounted in the same way on a W-body.