100K and up on TGP

Dannymik

I would like to know the truth behind a comment that this guy told me tonight about turbo charged vehicles. I told a lead technition that I was considering getting a TGP with 137K on it for $800(which was involved in an accident). His comment was that the price was not that bad, but he said that the average life of a turbo is about 100K. Anything higher is a risky situation and told me to look at something with less mileage. The peeps in here with a TGP over 100K is this true? Is your turbo tired?

Like any car, it depends on how it's driven. See how much play it has, mine has none and I'm at 127k now. Of course I was the 2nd owner at 108k, and the guy before me treated the car really well.

he's a dumbass, a properly maintained car(turbocharged or not) will last a long time as well as a turbocharger itself..my turbo went south on my 88 Volvo 740 at 217K..and all that was wrong with it was the oil seals..they just got old..most likely because the car sat for a few months when the previous owner had it and the seals may have dried out some.

Hell, there are about 10 other things that will go out before a Turbo on these cars. *coughs* INJECTORS /*coughs* and a few of them[mumbles] injectors /[mumbles] can be more expensive than a turbo. I'm around 120K and my turbo will make entirely too much boost, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I've been tuning and building turbo sport compacts for quite a while. There is little truth to his statement. The only way that the turbo's are going to go out is due to being driven hard and poorly maintained.

Here's a run down for you. These are some of my personal vehicles:

88 Dodge Daytona Pacifica- 219,000 and still going with ne owner- raced often at different scca and drag events- original Garret Turbo

87 Daytona Shelby-Z- 392,000 on car, turbo had a refresh at 142,000(seals only), car was nicely modded and is still regularly raced

87 Supra Turbo- 186,000 on stock engine and turbo- VERY hard driven, 3 blown head gaskets, turbo is still good with no oil leaks or shaft play.

90 Laser Turbo- 190,000 on stock turbo- still no leaks or shaft play

90 TGP- 170,000 on stock turbo- still no shaft play or bad seals

There's a lot more, but these are just some examples.

I would say grab it if the car is in good shape. For $800, it's worth throwing some money into anyhow. and the Garret T-25 is a fairly cheap turbo to rebuild.

My STE Ran a 15.00@90.02 Stock with about 133K on it 2 years later with 1457xx on it. It Runs even faster, after I replaced all 3 coil packs.

and the second STE Im getting has 190xxx on it and its still Running like new.

so I would not worry...just make sure oil level is good and check for shaft play if it starts to play get it rebuilt for $275 at turbochargers.com

or pick a second turbo up from ebay when they go up there.