"Low Trac" light in my '97 Cutty

jeremy

You have no traction system. That light will pop on when the ABS activates. Don't quote me on this one.. but I THINK it comes on when the tires spin excessivly too. But no.. no traction system.

in my '95 GP, the low trac light comes on when the anti-lock brakes are engaged.

GP's have a low trac. light??? Wow.. thats news to me. Mine sure as hell doesn't have it.

it does also come on when the tires loose grip from either "peeling out" or going over wet railroad tracks too fast....good to know it is only a warning light though

Yeah no doubt.. cause I can never tell when my ABS goes on :roll: Quality GM Engineering... meh.. I'm sure it has a purpose, I just can't think of one right now.

haha.. nonetheless, I wish I had one. I like lights and gadgets.

If you wanna cut & splice wires, you could easily install a 95+ ABS computer. :)

Ahhh don't be givin' me ideas! I'm supposed to be cutting back on spending. Its so tough :cry:

I'm gonna have to keep an eye open for one of those now

ABS is a PITA for normal to hard driving. it is constantly going off on little bumps while i hit the brakes which slows me down slower than i anticipated and i almost run into whos in front of me :roll: its stops you way slower in the snow too. i can probaly stop in half the distance with my ABS disabled in the snow than i can with it. my low trac light only comes on when my ABS does. never comes on when im peeling out

Mine only comes on when the ABS is engaged. It most definitely does not turn on when the tires are spinning during acceleration, only when they are sliding during braking.

P.S. read your owners manual, Jeremy, it says what the lights do.

My moms had a 97 Cutlass Supreme (grr and btw I can't stand the nickname 'cutty' -- its like nails on a chalkboard) - The LOW TRAC light only came on during ABS stops.

Some people like ABS, some people don't. It definitely doesn't reduce your stopping distance... but that's not really the idea behind it. ABS allows you to be able to steer during a hard braking or traction loss situation. If you slam on the brakes with a non-ABS vehicle you can't really steer your car, you are basically at the mercy of the laws of physics. If you have ABS and it engages during a hard stop or loss of traction, you can still steer the car out of harms way.

a decent or better human driver can brake better than any ABS system, the only possible exception, is during a panic slam...
i thought it was more for turning and swerving and stuff like that in the snow, not so much as straight line stopping

I know ABS doesn't reduce stopping distance. I have it on in the summer, as most hard stops are on dry pavement, of course..

But I pull the fuse in the winter. It SHOULD allow you to steer when it activates, but the streets are soo damn slick around here most of the time, its basically worthless.. I can't steer when it goes on.. I just slide.. and it takes longer to stop while I'm in that slide. I can steer and stop much better w/o it around here.