DRL

project 92z

I own 2 Z34's, a 92, aka The Girlfriend and a 91, aka The Mistress. The Mistress was recently disassembled for a diy paint job and body work. After reassembly, headlight, taillights, and dash won't work with the switch but will work with the remote start. Looking at the wiring diagram, could be 1 of 3 things, DRL (daylight running lights) control module, side or relay. Anybody know the locations of these?

Does a '91 or '92 have Damned Daytime Running Lights (DDRL)?

I've disabled them on my '98 Monte, and '03 Trailblazer.  Kinda think I disabled 'em on my '97 K2500 also, but I don't remember for sure.  Pretty sure I didn't need to on my '92 and '93 Luminas.  It may be that they were installed on Canadian cars, though.  They don't get to own pistols, either.  Crazy Canadians.

Anyway, the Genuine GM service manual would list the locations of all those items.

@Schurkey You are the perfect person to ask! Looking in the Haynes manual, the circuits were installed in the 91-97. Not sure if it's a passive circuit though or if the diagram is a possibility and only on cars with it. Other wise I might be looking for possible rodent damage. I did some proving around today and I'm missing voltage in a few spots.

I have a distinct distrust of aftermarket service manuals.  Doesn't matter which brand--Haynes, Chilton, Clymers, etc.

I buy REAL Genuine GM service manuals "used" from eBay at advantageous prices.  The GM manuals have occasional errors, especially for the first year of a new platform.  My '88 C/K truck manual has heaps of errors, and it was printed way back in '86.  But generally speaking, the official manuals are heads-and-shoulders above the aftermarket jobs.  The aftermarket manuals make excellent emergency toilet paper.

Somewhat certain that DDRLs weren't installed on US cars until '96.

Are you in Canada or is the car from the Canadian market? 

A car with DRLs will have a light sensor integrated into the driver side dash speaker grille.

If its a US market car they simply do not have DRLs.  They were a Canadian market thing to comply with local laws.

the DRL module was roughly above the steering column (if equipped) 

If it works with remote start, I'd be inclined to think wherever the system is installed has a bad connection if the light switch has no control over them. I'd personally start with any of the aftermarket electronics

@White93z34 Thanks for the input. I'm still trying to follow the wiring diagram and don't believe there's a DRL circuit anymore. Checked voltage at the switch and nothing except trace voltage with ignition on. That's what's powering the indicator. My plan is to take Schurkey's advice and get the GM manual. I'm the meantime trying to find the headlight circuit breaker.

17 hours ago, project 92z said:

@White93z34  I'm the meantime trying to find the headlight circuit breaker.

The headlamp circuit breaker is located in the component centre. That's under the instrument panel, somewhat centred under the dash panel.

If you have a Canadian car the RPO code for the DRL's is T61.

P1030534Large_zps0d093b5e.jpg

Edited by 55trucker

IMG_20240214_224330359.jpg.33fbde9880be06763faa5ff87bd8e574.jpgThanks 55trucker. So I'm guessing that unit needs to be replaced or is it serviceable? I lucked up and found a base model in a local yard and pulled everything I could find under the dash. Looking at the diagram you posted, is this it?