Will an altenator from a 96 work on a 89?

GRANDFURY

I just found an altenator at a local junkyard that is off a 1996 grand prix with the 3100, will this work on my 1989 grand prix with the 2.8? The altenator is only $60 canadian and is garunteed to work.

wont work, tried once with a buddy of mines spare from his berreta when mine went out. The 3100 and the 3.1 use different alts. It will actually work, but wont physically fit cuz the 3100 alt has a cooling shroud on the back of it and it will not clear the manifold.

- Justin

ummm, the alternators form the 4.3 and 4.3 turbo (blazer and typhoon/syclone) will work. You would have to fabricate a bracket for the rear cuz the matal bar that normally holds the back of the alternator just barely doesnt reach so you have to add about an inch onto it...

thats what i have is one form a syclone/typhoon. You also would have to go to radio shack or equivalent and get a plug that you can plug into it for the GM plug that plugs intpo the back. Otherwise they physically fit fine.

Mine is a 160 amp chrome alternator.

- Justin

actually, depending on how soon you need it, you can have my take off that was onmy car before. There is nothing wrong with it, but i just got the 160 amp for free and had to put it in :D :D

$5 plus shipping and its all yours.

PM me

- Justin

Will any altenator work from a different engine?

Any of the GM CS-130 alternators will work. They were made from '86 to '94? (I'm going by memory) One thing to look at would be the pulley diameter - if it's much bigger than yours, the alternator may not have enough output. Another thing to pay attention to is the alternator's clock position. There are 3 positions that the back of the case can be in. If you have the wrong one, the rear mounting hole and the connector will be in the wrong place. With the old SI alternators (used up to '85) you could take the case apart, rotate the back, and put back together to change the clock position. I've heard both yes & no for doing this to the CS series; I've never tried it myself. My '84 Celebrity had the old SI series. I replaced it with a CS-130 intended for a Camaro. The case bolted up and GM carries an adaptor plug for doing this. As for using the newer style (mid - late 90's), I haven't read any info on that. I would guess that if the case would bolt up, it would probably work (don't take my word for it). If the newer uses a different connector, check the dealer - they may have an adaptor plug for that conversion too.

I just found out that it is only 117$ for an alt. with 1 year warrenty and 170$ for a five year one. If it is cheaper to ship yours than I prolly will get it from you . How do I find out shipping costs? Also I read that the coolant temp senor if bad could dump too much fuel or not enough in the engine causeing it to stall, is this correct? My fan stoped turning on right before the stalling problems so for 36$ I should replace it and see right.

There are over 40 styles of GMs venerable 'CS-130' alt....going from car to car is risky but generally, if it has the same vin code, it should fit.

If you want to save about $50, get a hold of 'arrowhead' electronics - they are a supplier to most shops, if you or someone you know is a shop they can save a fortune

I just found out that it is only 117$ for an alt. with 1 year warrenty and 170$ for a five year one. If it is cheaper to ship yours than I prolly will get it from you . How do I find out shipping costs? Also I read that the coolant temp senor if bad could dump too much fuel or not enough in the engine causeing it to stall, is this correct? My fan stoped turning on right before the stalling problems so for 36$ I should replace it and see right.

Yes, it would be cheaper to get mine - i wouldnt think anything over $15 - but i need your zip to find out shipping.

as far as temp sensor, YES, it happened to me. Big problems. The car would die and not idle. When i got on it though it ran REAL good, but i would have to heel-toe the brake and gas if i had to slow down or stop at a light or something or it would die and not want to start again for about 20 minutes. I plugged in my code scanner and the temp was reading like negative 300 something degrees.

thats a simple fix. First thing to do, check your plug and wires. Mine turned out to be a shorting plug that was broken. i went to the j/y, cut a lead and patched it up - cost me nothing to fix, so dont go and spend $40 bux if youdont have to.

- Justin

:shock: Is that America Jr. money? or regular American currency?

It's CANADIAN money. Your temp senor problems 92turboLE is excatly what happens to my car word for word. I hate the stupid duble footin' it :) I live in Canada N4S 1v9 is my postal code. It is in Woodstock Ontario. If that stupid sensor is my problem all this time I'm going to be madd/happy, madd cuase it is such an easy fix and happy cause it wasn't the injectors or pump. Oh by the way I got a qoute from a guy at work that does work on cars and he said 140$ CANADIAN 8) to put in a fuel pump. Well I work with his wife but he is a mechanic, So I found a cheap one if I don't want to do any work on it myself, But wats the fun in that right :) I also have a little plan i'm concokting but we will see if it flys, not until spring. It might involve me driving a 89 celeberity for a year but the Prix would gutted and fitted with a 3.8 5spd. :twisted: I know it is not going on for awhile but might as well start to plan right? The celeb has a 2.8 in it too so at least i'm some what fimiliar with the engine. How does gunmeatal sound for a paint job :twisted:

Thanx again 92turboLE

no prob... like i said, Check the wire and plug FIRST. it may be a simple fix, and i would bet money that if you took your car to your mechanic friend and hooked it up to a scantool, it would read somewhere in the vacinity of -100 to -300 degrees.

Will find out about shipping tomarrow.

anything else i can help you with.

like i said when i first got on the board. My car and myself are the GM service manual for the W-Body. Name ANYTHING short of the motor blowing, and i would bet you it has happened to my car, lol.

- Justin

Acctually, it looks like my tranny coolant lines are leaking it is the one one the drivers side of the rad at the top. It turns from metal to plastic and at the clamp is where it looks like it is leaking. I'm taking a better look at it this weekend but I'm thinking imight just have to replace the rubber hose and clamp, If it is the meatal line do you think JB weld would hurt?

the temp sensor itself wont, but it cause the ECU to throw different codes like running rich, abnormal idle. little things like that. Usually mine owwuld throw a code for a dew seconds then turn off.

and the rims are enkei CDR9 (i think) 17 inch rims.... i like em EXCEPT that they are PAINTED, not powdercoated and i had a minor caliper leak and the brake fluid chewed up the paint pretty bad on one rim (but its getting replaced on warrenty baby!!!)

- Justin