Quad 4 5-speed work?

SuperBuick

There is a 1990 quad 4 cutlass 5 speed for sale near me with a bad tranny. If I can get the car cheap would it be worth pulling the tranny and rebuilding it? Will the Quad 4 282 bolt up to a V6? If I can get this car cheap I will do it, but if its not gonna be worth it then Ill just wait and get my tranny from WI (ugh)

-Tom

You have to swap bellhousings. This is what im going to do, but im getting the SCX tranny so its worth it. The normal quad 4 tranny isn't worth much. Look for a V6 282. If you want the tranny im getting, I know someone selling one that already has the V6 bellhousing on it. 3.94 FDR, close ratio gearing, possibility for LSD. Dunno what he wants for it though. Someone said 500 but I didnt get that number from him.

If it is from a HO quad 4 is it worth it? Is the bellhousing all that would need to be changed? Also, where can I get a bellhousing/how much are they?

Tom

I haven't gotten my trannies yet. If its out of an SCX its worth it. Im not sure what all has to be changed. Dan Bettis told me there is a plastic piece on teh reverse gear/rod or something like that which has to be removed. If not, you cant go through all the gears. I wont know anything in detail till I do it, and that wont be too soon.

http://www.brian89gp.com/other/transmission.htm

Thats for the gearing. 4 and 5 are all that suck on the normal quad 4. It beats the V6 setup anyway.

You ahve to get a complete V6 tranny, since the bellhousing is a huge part of the tranny. Maybe a fiero store would have it, I dunno.

If it is from a HO quad 4 is it worth it? Is the bellhousing all that would need to be changed? Also, where can I get a bellhousing/how much are they?

Tom

one is a is a Muncie 282 (V6 version) and one is a Issuzu (4cyl version). its easier to just find the V6 282 and not worry about it.

Shane

• 1 month later...

The 190 hp version of the quad 4 got the muncie with a quad 4 bellhousing. You can swap the bellhousing to the V6 type and use it with its close ratio gearing ad 3.94 FDR. This is what I plan on doing.

Man you guys know your parts. Thats a very low final drive do you think it would be much use on the road or does 5th bring that final ratio down or up depending on how you look at it. How about a Berreta GT V6 5 speed ? What do you know about them ? I thought these were getrag now you have Muncie and Isuzu I'm getting confused ? Do the 60V6 and 90V6 have the same bellhousing bolt pattern ? How much HP and torque do you think one of these could take ? Then the hardest thing for me I supposes is getting a flywheel bolted to a Buick 90V .

The 282 is called a muncie or getrag but its really a getrag by design. The isuzu is a 4 banger only deal and isn't worth messing with other than its gear ratios are better than the normal 282 I think.

http://www.brian89gp.com/other/transmission.htm

There are the gear ratios but not for an isuzu.

Same bellhousing I believe (same tranny goes to thre 3100 and 3800). I know the fiero guys have to use an adapter or a custom flywheel or something. Trannies really arent my best point but im learning:)

The 282 is rated slightly less than the 284 but you can beef it up. Fiero guys put 454s behind them so I guess its up to you on how much you want it to handle.