1997 Lumina ABS Haynes Bleeding Procedure (?)

Fejimush

The Haynes manual for my 1997 Lumina describes a secondary procedure for bleeding the brakes, and I don't understand it's purpose.

1) After the first bleeding process is complete, and the pedal feels soft, perform the following warning light test five times without touching the brake pedal. Then repeat the bleeding procedure.

Warning light procedure:

1) Turn car on.

2) Watch ABS warning light for ten seconds.

3) If the warning light turns off after three seconds turn the car off.

4) Repeat five times, and then bleed the brakes again.

Why is the secondary bleeding procedure necessary?

Kindly,

Fej

If  you're not familiar with the Delco VI ABS system you're venturing into choppy waters.....this system relies on a scanner to perform the needed tests on the system to ensure the systems proper functionality.

reads these links with regards to the ABS VI system..........when you've finished reading them thru read them again until you understand what is involved with the ABS VI bleeding procedure.

There is a specific procedure for bleeding the modulator *without* a scanner to *home* the modulator pistons for rear the brakes. If you don't do this procedure you will NOT be able to bleed the rear calipers at all.

The last link pays special attention to the modulator itself where a scan tool is necessary to run thru all of the test procedures, without the scan tool you'd be lost.

BE CAREFUL....................!

http://www.tomorrowstechnician.com/service-advisor-abs-bleeding-procedures-for-common-gm-vehicles/

http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/bleeding-abs-systems/

https://www.motor.com/magazinepdfs/062001_04.pdf

get rid of your haynes manual & purchase the OEM factory manuals for the car.......it's far more detailed....you'll be doing yourself a favor

did I mention....... BE CAREFUL

Turns out that I received two driver side calipers and installed a left side caliper on the right side.  As a result, the bleeder ends up lower than it should be, which introduces air into the system.  I grabbed the correct caliper, installed it,  and re-bleeded the right side.  The brakes are working perfectly now.   

It hadn't occurred to me that it would be possible to 'accidentally' install a left side caliper on the right side.  I searched the forums and found out that this has happened before.

Thanks for the help folks!

Kindly,

Fej

I hate to hijack a thread, but I guess this is the perfect place to ask, being I didn't know any of this.

I believe they're called speed bleeder screws, where you unscrew it a 1/4 turn or 1/2 turn I guess, then just pump the brakes to remove air in the lines, are they compatible with my 98 grand prix gt? I printed out all the docs provided by 55trucker and will read them. I just hope I'm able to bleed them w/o assistance.

Edit: Ok, speed bleeders are available at advance, so I guess that answers my question. Incidentally I had previously posted that my ebrake light had been on for months. I never bothered to diagnose the problem. But I noticed my brake fluid was very low, so I added some. The light is now out.