Another stupid quote

93 Grand Prix

Reading the same magazine, an artical said (and I quote) "Driving with your windows down, uses more gas that the air conditioner" How in the hell is that? The A/C uses the compressor! The compressor puts more load on the engine, and causes it to use more gas. Is this true? Please enlighten me :!:

P.S. Still haven't got me engine runnin right yet! It's still-a-missin'.

You forgot an important piece of information from that magazine. Driving with your windows down at HIGHWAY speeds uses more gas than using your A/C. And if they didnt say that, thats what they meant. The amount of gas you give your car because of the drag created at 70MPH to get it going at the same speed as with window up A/C on is more - supposedly. I havent actaully done my homework on it but either its the placebo effect or i really have noticed a difference because my old 3.1 with the windows down i seemed to be pushing the gas down farther than if i had just kept them shut with the A/C on. If you just leave one window open that doesnt matter, but both windows open is the difference.

There was a test done but I haven't seen the results fora couple years. Its like 1 mpg or less difference between the two. Before you start slamming on magazines, you should probably understand the concept first. It is the drag caused from thewindows being down that puts more load on the engine than the AC pump. It must be at highway speeds though to create enough drag to have that difference.

Perhaps I'm an exception. With the A/C running, I can average about 24mpg from my house to USM campus in Hattiesburg, MS (305 miles) With no AC and top down (windows down as well) I get 27 mpg... perhaps my calculations are off... I'm going back to Hattiesburg in a few days, so I'll check it again.

One of my buddies older sisters used to have this early 80's POS volkswagen, she had to roll the windows up to go down the highway without mashing the gas the whole way, so it must create quite a bit of drag.

While we are on convertibles i have a question for everybody that have CS Convertible. I used to have 94 CS Convertible (for 1.5 year) with a 3.4 DOHC and i just wanted to know how many miles could you do on a full tank of gas because i could barly do 200 and the most i did on highway was 240 and i think thats bad for a V6 because my v8 4.6 in my Stang GT i did 320 on highway (13 gal tank) and about 250 mixed. SO was my Convertible just bad on gas or my Ford is so good.

My 1991 Convertible with the 3.1 gets about 325 to the tank highway and about 225 city. My friend once had a Z34 with the 3.4 and he had terrible gas mileage, city he was lucky to get 170 and highway was hardly better at about 210. He had new plugs, filters, the whole nine yards, nothing solved it.

Jason