Money Pit Horror Story: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP

CompGXTP

This is all believable to me, for sure.  I had a GM warranty on my Grand Prix, and dealers definitely can inflate the pricing for parts and labor.  I had the engine replaced in my GP after it spun a bearing, and from what I remember (this was 7-8  years ago) the invoice total was around $3-4k.  Don't they get paid from the warranty company after submitting the invoice?  I don't blame them for raising the $$.. Dealerships(or any shop) absolutely hate doing warranty work.

This car could've easily been just a Monday or a Friday car...a car built with little to no fucks given.  I don't think he's crazy to want a new car.  Price of a new car + long powertrain warranty + peace of mind of not having to worry about your car every time you turn over that ignition can outweigh keeping this GTP.  

Although, to turn the table....with everything that's been repaired on it..what's left?  A trans?  With 90k on it, I'd be hard pressed to think that that would be needed any time soon.  I know it can be a crap shoot, but the trans in my Regal lasted until almost 200k.  The trans in my new Regal has 140k on it and feels like new.   

I applaud you for your efforts, but good luck getting $8000 out of it. 

A quick glance at eBay shows 3 GXP Grand Prix, one with a brand new transmission, all for under $7000

Yeah I know you got all the papers and service history, but its not a BMW or Benz... service history doesn't mean as much to the average Grand Prix buyer. 

Again, more power to you if you can get that, but I wouldn't hold my breath... though good on you if you find a buyer.

I applaud you for your efforts, but good luck getting $8000 out of it. 

A quick glance at eBay shows 3 GXP Grand Prix, one with a brand new transmission, all for under $7000

Yeah I know you got all the papers and service history, but its not a BMW or Benz... service history doesn't mean as much to the average Grand Prix buyer. 

Again, more power to you if you can get that, but I wouldn't hold my breath... though good on you if you find a buyer.

Oh I am well aware I wont get $8000. I hope I will get anywhere between $6000-$7000. but I upped the price for negotiating room meaning if a potential buyer likes the car and willing to but cant pay the $8000, I have $2000 worth of wiggle room. But you never know I may even sell it for the $8000 if some average joe falls in love with the car without much prior knowledge and takes the it had alot of work done and its "rare" car to find.

Maybe the new owner will join the forum so we can find out how long it lasts.

Thinking about your dealer woes, it's possible your tranny wasn't flushed.

Maybe just a fluid change, but billed otherwise.

Maybe the new owner will join the forum so we can find out how long it lasts.

Thinking about your dealer woes, it's possible your tranny wasn't flushed.

Maybe just a fluid change, but billed otherwise.

It was a full flush connected to the trans flush machine and everything around 82000 miles I had this done. So far, it has had no issues shifting, but I feel like its going to go at any moment due to the flush. I have been hoping the transmission would have failed under my warranty to have it replaced but it did not. I have less than a month left and just had the water pump replaced. I have been driving the car less and less even taking the bus or train to work. Its only driven once or twice a week locally to keep the parts moving. Literally no more than 2-12 miles a week if that compared to the nearly daily driving it used to have.

The long and short of transmission flushes killing transmissions I've heard over the years is basically If it dies afterwards it didn't have long to live in the first place.

The long and short of transmission flushes killing transmissions I've heard over the years is basically If it dies afterwards it didn't have long to live in the first place.

X2....it's been my experience over the years that fluid, filter, and flushes on automatic transmissions tend to get the blame, when often the real issue was the transmission was on it's way out before it got extra love and attention.

Automatic transmissions tend to be utterly ignored, most notably regular fluid and filter changes, until it begins giving problems---by then, it's too late.

I'm on the other side of the fence believing that one. New automatic transmission fluid is more aggressive as far as the detergent goes and if the media on the clutches is already degraded the new fluid is not good for them.

on the other hand if a transmission is always serviced regularly or if it is serviced before the old transmission fluid it is too terribly degraded then there shouldn't be any harm in a fluid flush

I'm on the other side of the fence believing that one. New automatic transmission fluid is more aggressive as far as the detergent goes

What detergent?  There's less detergent in ATF than in motor oil.

I don't think he's crazy for starting high. Nobody will pay that, but more than likely someone would pay $6k or $6500.  I tried to get something comparable around here, but every 04-05 GTP here for sale is a rat trap lol

I don't think he's crazy for starting high. Nobody will pay that, but more than likely someone would pay $6k or $6500.  I tried to get something comparable around here, but every 04-05 GTP here for sale is a rat trap lol

Yep that what I am hoping to get around between 6k to 7k but will settle in the middle if needed. If I price the car exactly whats its worth, I may get even less because lets face it, a car buyer will be looking to save whatever they can even if the car is in amazing shape. Starting abit higher gives me negotiating room to make as much profit as I can.

What detergent?  There's less detergent in ATF than in motor oil.

"More aggressive" than old broken down ATF was what I was implying though looking back I suppose I should have been specific. There have been too many transmissions I knew who failed after a flush for me to not see a correlation. I do believe in Santa, and aliens but not co-incidences. 

AFAIK, isn't the flush with the machine frowned upon because it can shake things up in the trans and filter whereas a simple drain (opening the trans pan) and filter change is actually considered good because no pressurized fluid is being ran in the trans? 

That's the way it was described to me.

Update on the car: I received call from one of those "we saw your listing and want to sell the car for you"  services. Basically I told them to try selling their services to some other sucker and don't call me again. :mad:

It's so frustrating too because I got really excited when I got the phone call hoping for a potential buyer.

Oh well.  :roll:

Its only been a little over a week though and the listing got over one hundred unique views. I also lowed the price abit but not too much to maintain some negotiating room.

Yet another issue, while driving home I got a P0128 code meaning my thermostat is failing which is not covered under warranty which is about to expire in a about a week,

This money pit saga continues and I will have to get it fixed before I sell this POS of a car.

Are you sure the thermostat is failing and it is not the coolant temperature sensor that is messed up?

Honestly I don't know at this point. Either way if its a sensor or T stat, its got to get fixed, I also noticed my car does not heat up as fast and my temperature does not go above the second to first line when it used to always be in the middle even in the winter. Car is going into the shop Monday to confirm whats failing. I will order the parts on Amazon if they charge too much for it after they tell me if its the T stat or sensor itself and they will install it. I cant sell the car and get any profit with this check engine light. I cannot wait to get rid of this car.

If coolant levels are normal, it sounds like a failed thermostat...they're designed to remain open when they fall. Simple and cheap fix, though. Thermostats cost maybe $10.00.

If coolant levels are normal, it sounds like a failed thermostat...they're designed to remain open when they fall. Simple and cheap fix, though. Thermostats cost maybe $10.00.

I went the the shop confirmed the Thermostat is bad because I saw this morning that my upper radiator hose collapsed. Shop I go to usually will also change the sensor as well since its right near the Thermostat. Total price $100 so like a deductible if I used the warranty if it was covered and about $40 in parts that I ordered with shipping. Hopefully will be done by Monday.

Also, I ordered a new radiator cap because that may cause an issue also.

Ordered parts on Amazon

ECT sensor

Radiator Cap

New Thermostat with Gasket

All are AC Delco Parts.

I bought a new Beretta GT in 1989. I said I can barely afford a new car, therefore I *must* learn basic repairs at least. Bought the Haynes and factory manuals (which were useless for my level of learning). A friend showed me how to change disk pads. Did my own oil changes, of course, tune ups, struts (front). Replaced the heater core myself. Had to send it to a show when the crankshaft sensor IIRC failed, car wouldn't start. About 200$, he towed it ~ 1/4 mile to his shop for 15$. Long Island 1992 roughly. The car wouldn't start for 6 weeks in 1995, it just needed to be dried out, I understand that now, given the way moisture is able to get into the ignition module area. The car stopped running (?) at 205k, ran like a charm anywhere I wanted to go, only 2 *major* repairs, which weren't really, heater core and cs sensor. Since then I have done a new water pump/timing belt on a 1990 Le Baron, scary for a loser like me, but I also did it a second time (don't ask why, I don't even know). The first time it took me 2 weeks w/the Haynes, working about an hour a day, that was all the stress I could stand (well I did have to take one of the engine mount brackets off, scare for a loser, like me). No repair really frightens me anymore, though Lord knows there is much I haven't done. Never replaced an engine or tranny, but I'd do it. I recently (getting close to a year ago now!) bought a banged up 98 GP GT for 300$. Many here have heard the story, and are preparing to turn their computer off, or at least groan/sigh deeply. Charging system crapped out. Still workiing on it LOL. It's one of those mystery jobs to me that just makes me not want to do it. I took preliminary steps and cleaned the contacts on the positive terminal lug/stud sticking out up top the under hood fuse box. It's as if adhd kicks in when I start thinking about this job. I actually obtained the factor manuals, 3 part set, haven't learned a thing from them yet.

When I get this *major* repair out of the way, I still need to do the valve cover gaskets, presumably lim gaskets, maybe replace the plenum, maybe even w/non-stock aluminum. Driver's side wheel bearing, bought a timing chain, not sure I even want to bother. You sound like a dopey college age kid, no offense meant. I had no business buying a new car back then, but I don't know what I know now, and extremely reliable GM cars weren't as plentiful and cheap as they are now. You aren't even working full time. Get something cheap w/a 3800 preferably, even a 3.1. The 3.4s have notorious gasket issues, I'd avoid those bastards. But allegedly all these cars have gasket issues. It really isn't the end of the world, you seem smart enough (despite jab above). If you're living at home and make enough to afford a new or nearly new car (w/insurance) then go for it. Some of these old beaters are all I want to know about now, as all I have is a pt job myself. But we have a new Republican president, so I'm sure better times aren't far away, at least economically.

• Like 2

If coolant levels are normal, it sounds like a failed thermostat...they're designed to remain open when they fall.

No.  There is no way to predict how a part is going to fail.   That's part of "failure".  'Stats can stick open, they can stick closed. 

One brand is designed to lock open, not because the thermostat failed, but because the engine overheated for some other reason. (Marketing bullshit--the product feature itself is useless.  Does nothing a properly-functioning 'stat wouldn't do with an overheating engine.)

I find this hard to believe as well. 800 bucks for a water pump job? No deal.

I own two old vehicles (97 & 00). With a ton of miles (268k & 238k). They are not expensive to maintain. I do my own work though. And if prices like these are what I need to expect these days from shops? Well my rides won't be going anywhere near one. At those prices I could perform my own repairs and fuck it up at least 4 times before I'm at half the cost of a shop rate.

Sorry to hear about your luck. But the miles aren't that high. And some of the listed repairs seem normal for that age.

Sent from a flagged XT1254

Tyler/T-Unit

• Like 2