Z34 Alternator

getragz34

Few things, hope someone can help.

Does anyone know the size of bolt for the fron bearing axle ? Also any easy way to remove it ?

I'm pretty sure its a 36mm, but can someone confirm that.

Does anyone know the size of Allen Key needed to remove the brake caliper mounting bracket. Again I'm prety sure its a 3/8 Allen Key, but can someone confirm for me.

Last but not least, Has anyone succesfully removed the alternator and done it fairly easy ?

If someone could get back to me that would be great.

Thanx

i did it for the first time without anyhelp and it took me 8 hours! :twisted: :evil: :roll: .....All i have to say is i hope you have small hands cuz i don't and unclipping the slt is a bitch. Oh and when u think you got the top bolt off of the alt it's actually the power steering bracket nut SON OF A BITCH! it's not to to bad tho, jsut take your time.

remove fender well lining

but take tire off first lol

pop out tie rod end

caliper and rotor need to come off

then pop out the half shaft, i did it on a auto 96 gtp but it was easier when i took the coolant resivior out and put that top nut back on from the top. I hope you are doing this where ther is a heated garage, if not may god be with you :lol: hope this helps a lil

Good luck Jay

Thanx Extreme and Redfox.

I still need to know the size for the axle nut and the cliper bracket bolts... LOL

I know this can be done, I'm almost there.. Have taken alot of the stuff needed to take the alternator out.

There are quite a few ways to take the alternator out. But realistically, the half shaft has to come out.

Thanx again for the posts.

Later

Thanx Extreme and Redfox.

I still need to know the size for the axle nut and the cliper bracket bolts... LOL

COuld just measure them up and go from there.

Many of the auto parts / tools places will let you exchange them if the size is not correct.

That's the best I can tell you with not having access to a manual or the car anymore.

- Erik

Thanx to 93GTP, I bought the T-60 Torx in a half inch drive socket. My Cliper bolt was on there pretty good, I first had a 3/8" With a 3/8 Drive but couldn't get any torque behind it. THe T-60 Torx worked really well.

I bought a 36mm Axle Socket, but it seems to fit a little bit sloppy. Does anyone know the actually size of the axle nut, is it SAE Or metric ?

I'm pretty sure its the right one but i don't want to bust anything.

Thanx Again

Few things, hope someone can help.

Does anyone know the size of bolt for the fron bearing axle ? Also any easy way to remove it ?

I'm pretty sure its a 36mm, but can someone confirm that.

Does anyone know the size of Allen Key needed to remove the brake caliper mounting bracket. Again I'm prety sure its a 3/8 Allen Key, but can someone confirm for me.

Last but not least, Has anyone succesfully removed the alternator and done it fairly easy ?

If someone could get back to me that would be great.

Thanx

The axle nut is either 32 or 34mm, i forget (I just grab em out of the drawer and test fit lol) depending on year and mood of GM, the caliper bolt is either 3/8 hex or T50 torx or T60 torx. as for the alt - bummer....on the 3.4 you gotta take apart the top of the motor

note: I have seen hi mileage 3.4s junked because the alt was bad - the repair bill is that evil. If you DO get it fixed, dont just plop in a std rebuild....there is a kit that a good indy shop will use that uses a front bearing about 1.5 times the width - this is where they fail - the stock bearing goes due to the pressure ofthe serp belt and the internal fan hits the case and kaboom. I can get you the dimensions on this front bearing if you like.

Is that what your talking about Quad ?

I bought a standard alternator, I do all the work on the cars myself. I'm just a little bit out of practise since my last marriage did not let me tinker with car.. BITCH.

Anyway the axle nut is a 36mm and the caliper bolt you can either use a 3/8 Allen Key socket or a T-60 Torx.

Thanx for the input everyone. I will let you know how it goes... Grrrrrrrrr

:)

Ciao

I have removed almost everything. I finished removing the axle, but it seems like the hub part is still connected to the tranny. Thats the part directly under the alternator which is in the way. Does that hub part have to come out ? If so is there an easy way of removing it ?

I have the axle out from where the 3 bearing are.. Am I missing something ?

:shock:

Someone let me know please

Thanx

You're talking about the shield that goes around the axle correct? It simply removes with three bolts.

You can't access these bolts without removing the axle.

If you have any problems with the job just look at the picture walkthrough on 60 degree v6.

I have already removed the shield and the axle. Its the Hub part that is on the tranny with the notched cut out 3 notches.

Does that part come off ? I'm sure it does, so the alternator drops down a little.

What am I missing ?

LOL

Geez