TGP cam specs?

Intlcutlass

Anybody know em????

Jeff M..I know you do.

I was not aware ANYONE had the original TGP cam p/n. I think Mick had that.....thanks you sir.

If we can just get some body to give up the lobes, duration and lift for original cam...I think this whole topic could go away.

Oh and I was wrong .... comp cams said a custom grind is $220.00 not $180.00......sorry fellas. :oops:

As long as your here, you did that Cutlass turbo five speed conversion right?

If yes, how the hell did you dyno at 202 hp buy 295 lbs of torque?

It seem like the hp is right on the money, but the torque is huge.....I thought that motor was only putting out like 220 lbs....Did you change anything in the bottom end?

Oh and in case you didn't read my other post......your site rocks.(the swap info)

Well, it did 202HP and 275FTlbs at the wheels. We did 3 pulls, and they were all close to those numbers. It does seem werid though, and I think the HP should have been higher...or the TQ should have been lower. That was running like 14psi, 3 inch exhaust, MBC and other various mods. Everyone elses numbers were right on that day too, so the dyno wasn't broken or anything.

Of course, that engine had some issues with the head gasket and it had almost 190k miles on it. So who knows what it will make with a new engine/trans. I plan on hitting the track before it snows here as soon as the engine and trans are done (and broken in).

Jason

Shawn says no, and he is like Wbody God, both him and Jeff M.

I have the original turbo grand prix p/n, but when i called gm to get the specs, GM said they were not listed. I think I can get a custom grind for less than the TGP cam, and someone mentioned on this board before that if the lift was a touch more on both the intake and the exhaust it would be helpfull(as long as running 1.52 rocker arms). So I'm trying to get the specs off the cam so that when i get the custom grind, I know what to ask for. (I have mine out, but i don't know how to measure it)

Any help would be cool!!!!!!

there should be someone around that has a TGP motor sitting in there garage.....and could take the cam out and send it to comp or Crane and get custom ones built.....but to get the specs because GM doesnt have it contact Mclaren

they would have them.....they built the motor.....they probly put a custom one in....

Thanks your your help, but I'm one of em with the tgp cam sitting in my garage, I just don't know how to read it to get the duration, lift ect .I wish I could post pictures here, so you guys can see my progress. Right now I've been shopping around for pistons, Somebody gave me a Mahle p/n but they are cast, so they are not quite as strong as I would like to see. Federal Mogal had nothing, the only ones I could find that I liked were the Ross Forged ones that Curt Walker used. Part finding is a BITCH.

Why don't you use the forged Mahle pistons that Chris A posted in one of these threads...he said they were around $130 a set. Here is the info he posted...

02726-xx

replace -xx with

-00 Standard

-01 .50mm over

-02 .75mm over

-03 1.0mm over

Jason

I called, the shop where I would need to get them, I asked the sales rep involved if they were forged,(I wanted to make sure), he said he didn't know but that he had a phone number to a teck line, and that he would call me back. Well....Five min. later he did call back and told me they were cast. I'm not saying Chris A was wrong! I'm saying maybe somebody along the way passed bad info. If somebody could prove me wrong, that would be great, I WOULD BUY THEM. But the sales rep and I talked for a min after that and he said "maybe thats why they are only $165" (Oh yea- I didn't get a quote for $103 either.)

Why don't you use the forged Mahle pistons that Chris A posted in one of these threads...he said they were around $130 a set. Here is the info he posted...

02726-xx

replace -xx with

-00 Standard

-01 .50mm over

-02 .75mm over

-03 1.0mm over

Jason

OH OH OH....... BACK THE TRUCK UP A MINUTE! The mahle pistons are hypereutetic cast, not forged. But they have a reinforcing steel band in them that really adds to their strength. They should be able to take any abuse the average TGPer can give them.

<snip>. I'm not saying Chris A was wrong! <snip> But the sales rep and I talked for a min after that and he said "maybe thats why they are only $165" (Oh yea- I didn't get a quote for $103 either.)

Who started the rumor that they were forged? :?:

Prices do change, but $165 is alot better than the GM list of $50 or more dollars each.

Dude, I thought these were forged. I thought someone said that. I can't remember who.... :oops:

Are you using these in yours?

Is your motor heavily mods or light? HP?

If you are not using these can someone with more tech experience than me (which is just about everone on this board) tell me how these will handle the type of power I am looking to produce?

Much thanks to Chris for his guidance!

Dude, I thought these were forged. I thought someone said that. I can't remember who.... :oops:

Are you using these in yours?

Is your motor heavily mods or light? HP?

If you are not using these can someone with more tech experience than me (which is just about everone on this board) tell me how these will handle the type of power I am looking to produce?

Much thanks to Chris for his guidance!

Well anyone with a TGP is running these as they are the stock pistons. But they are much better than any aftermarket non-forged piston and have held up to alot of abuse by some guys. I ran 12 psi on two of my cars with no problems and would not hesitate to run more with proper tuning. The only way to get forged for these is to have them custom made.

• 5 weeks later...

to measure. measure the smallest part of the cam (heel)and then the largest (lobe) subtract the smaller number (heel) from the larger number (lobe) and times that by your rocker are ratio. (1.5) to check the rest of the specs you will have to degree the cam in. it's alot of work.

i am running the 25h came listed below. it's ok. can't say it's much better than the stock cam. i have put alot of cams in and never had such a poor performance gain. problem is i have to pass smog inspections.

specs from the repair manuel for vin t. turbo supplement dosen't say there different. i would say the n/a and turbo are the same.(see chart on my cam after 192k miles.

P/N GRIND DEG DUR DEG DUR DEG DUR DEG DUR LIFT LIFT LOBE

INT EX INT EX INT EX SEP

STOCK 196 203 256 263 0.394 0.410 ?

crane$210 25h000016 210 204 266 260 440 427 114

net lift at short

heal lobe lift lift*1.5 valve diff at cam

1.259 1.521 0.262 0.393 0.394 0.001 0.001 I

1.322 1.576 0.254 0.381 0.410 0.029 0.019 E

1.259 1.519 0.260 0.390 0.394 0.004 0.003 I

1.322 1.575 0.253 0.380 0.410 0.030 0.020 E

1.269 1.520 0.251 0.377 0.394 0.017 0.012 I

1.269 1.518 0.249 0.374 0.394 0.020 0.014 I

1.322 1.571 0.249 0.374 0.410 0.037 0.024 E

1.269 1.510 0.241 0.362 0.394 0.032 0.022 I

1.269 1.515 0.246 0.369 0.394 0.025 0.017 I

average 0.016

hope this helps. i pasted the chart,it squeezed the chart but you can figure it out.