Vintage W-body photo thread

ManicMechanic

i've done it for the lulz when other people notice the handle/belt setup, but it's entirely impractical to use as intended.

that and ropeburn on the neck is REALLY difficult to explain to other people.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I laugh a little every time I see a picture of the seat belts buckled in with the doors open like that. I don't think many people made use of this "feature."

Since owning my first W, I've NEVER used the seatbelts as intended. I wonder if the NHTSA seriously thought anyone would either. That goes for those stupid motorized belts that the Japanese used as well.

My friend used them as such once in my Cutlass, which was hilarous considering that you have to pull the belts away from you to get out.

I seriously  wonder if the cars were delivered with the belts buckled.

Like the '74 seatbelt interlock NHTSA kept trying to find ways to make people wear them and the "passive" belts were GM's answer to the motorized ones F*rd used.. Finaly gave up when airbags became required.

• 1 month later...

Hard to tell from the blurry pic, but she looks like in her 50s, would probably be in her late 70s today.

I have vague memories of a thread where someone found one of those Unocal Regals rotting away in the front yard of some hermit's house.

• Like 2

• ManicMechanic changed the title to Vintage W-body photo thread