hi from mn

justincase42

hey guys just thought i would say hi here. i am having trouble with my 96 buick regal custom 3.1. i just replaced the multifunction switch and the flasher everything works but the left blinker. the front left works when the hazards are on and the back doesn't work at all except the brake lights. any advice would be great.

Edited by justincase42

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your troubles, I wish I knew more about the Regals. It's nice to have another member nearby. I'm about 30 mi south of Albert Lea, in northern Ia.

thanks not a problem it's just driving me crazy. wish i could figure it out. i have been working on it for 2 days now replaced the flasher the multifunction switch checked the fuses the wiring seems fine. running out of ideas.

Shouldn't be a Regal specific kind of issue, would think it would be W-body wide, as far as the switch and wiring go...but anyway...

You've tried a known good bulb in both front and back, yes? A 96 will still have two flashers, I think...hopefully the forum corrects me, one for hazards, one for turn signals. Although the flasher wouldn't kill one side...it sounds like a bad bulb or bad connection or bad bulb socket.

ya i switched the bulbs and switched the flashers around and nothing i would check the wiring but not exactly sure where it all runs. it might be a bad multifunction switch again though too since i got it at a scrap yard.

I had an issue where my blinker in the back would come and go, that issue ended up being the plug despite showing absolutely no signs of damage or corrosion. They are cheap to pick up and splice in. Just a thought. Otherwise, bad ground would be my next guess. A lot of people overlook the grounds.

The pins on the signal switch connector might not have seated very well. Try tightening the bolt on the bulkhead connector a little bit more. Try not to snug it down too much, otherwise you'll snap it clean off.

If this doesn't work, buy a brand new signal switch, as the design is complete crap. A used one won't be much better than the one you replaced, as the years of tugging on the lever to activate the high beams gradually separates the contacts.

Not to brag, but I published a write-up many many years ago - http://tss.likeabigdog.com if it's of any help to you (probably not since you already replaced the switch, but thought I'd throw that in there.)

Welcome, I'm from MN myself. Just started lurking again, haven't posted on here in years!!!

The pins on the signal switch connector might not have seated very well. Try tightening the bolt on the bulkhead connector a little bit more. Try not to snug it down too much, otherwise you'll snap it clean off.

If this doesn't work, buy a brand new signal switch, as the design is complete crap. A used one won't be much better than the one you replaced, as the years of tugging on the lever to activate the high beams gradually separates the contacts.

Not to brag, but I published a write-up many many years ago - http://tss.likeabigdog.com if it's of any help to you (probably not since you already replaced the switch, but thought I'd throw that in there.)

Welcome, I'm from MN myself. Just started lurking again, haven't posted on here in years!!!

Holy shit. Nice to see you posting.