Bottomed out, need advice

Guest RedCutlassSL

Guest RedCutlassSL

i was going about 95 mph when i hit a bump. I hit it hard so I hit my head on the ceiling to give you an idea of how hard the impact was. Anyway, now I can hear some rattling and other noises from the front right tires. Any ideas what it is, and what I should look for to detect damages? Unrelated, I can hear squeaking from the back drivers side tire. It is there at slow speeds, and is present with the tire applied and not.

Guest RedCutlassSL

no i didn't, and that was stupid. I was following my friend back to my house. We both hit the top speed of our cars, me 110, the governer kicked in, and he was doing 115+ in an 92 accord. I just installed 3 10 subs in my car.

As a quick check, raise the front of the car with a jack and grab the right frnt wheel with your hands, grasp it at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions and pull/push and see if there's any play. Now grab 12:00 and 6:00 and check the same....if there's any play you're looking at the tie rods and possibly balljoints...Id do this immediately, you dont want a suspension part failing on the HWY

well since we are on the topic of problems with a right front tire, let me go thru the problem i had with mine. Its kind of a sad story. was my first car my 91 GP LE with 204k miles and still running strong. Well this probably had somehting to do with it but the struts or springs had never been changed within that 204k miles. I was rounding a fairly sharp corner at about 30-40mph ( i dont remember the exact speed just basic gut judgement) which would be the same thing i do probably about 2-3 times a day anyway when <snap> the whole front tire snapped off and back into the wheel well, a full 90* to where it should have been pointing. This included the wheel, rotor, and caliper. It was so far off the whole driveshaft came outta the tranny and dragged along. i dont even know how it was still being held to the car . well this was the death of the car, the reapir to fix it were greater than the value of the car. However just before that incident i was driving along and hit a major bump in the road at about 50mph. it was incredibly loud, it almost sounded as if i jsut drove over a curb that fast, but i also dont think it was that cuz wouldnt something that serious break it right there. after that i parked the car went in my friends house, went home and about 4 miles later was the accident

Guest RedCutlassSL

if i did blow the strut, how hard is that to replace, and what tools do i need? Also, I have the fe1 suspension, would it be possible to easily replace it with the fe3 strut? i know i'd have to do both sides then

You need the GM-10 Strut tool from LISLE and it would help and make you do a great job if you got a hold of some kind of impact gun and a pair of quality vise grips. Infact it's very important you get an inpact gun, maybe you can rent an electric one. Yes you'll have to replace them in pairs, also you'll need to change the springs and the stabilzer to get the full and proper FE3 effect. I recommend the Monroe Reflex as I'd say they are stiff yet self adjusting. You could also look into the AC Delco Reactek. Though others would recommend other types

Guest RedCutlassSL

i brought my car to a mechanic, what i did is drive the strut through the tower housing, so the frame needs to be welded and straightened, and i need 4 new struts, and new rear brakes, oh and i need to replace a wheel bearing. I'm filing an insurance claim.

Guest RedCutlassSL

actually my dad and i looked at it ourselves tonight, and we are not sure thats the case, cuz upon inspection it looks fine. I think that mechanic might have been blowing hot air, so i'm going to bring it to a mechanic i can trust, my dads friend. he ran over my first car, a metro, when i was 17. he was driving a 2500 Silverado and ran over the fender, he now feels obliged to help me out as best he can.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you've got some pretty shitty roads up there where you're at, bumps everywhere in the road! The only thing I really have to look out for are tire retreads that came off of a semi... one of those took my rear bumper neon to its death :bawl: another $40 down the drain...

Could it be the CV's/TriPot's? I did the same stoopid thing Friday :? and I have to wait until this weekend to fix it.

Going thru Newark I hit a submerged hole that threw me AND my passenger to the roof (wearing belts!) and I haven't gotten to jack it up to look at it yet.