Hi

svt4cobra6

Hi everyone. I have a 1998 lumina. It's been in the family since it was new. My wife got it from her mom while I was deployed. Honestly, when I first started driving it I hated it. It since has grown on me. It's just too slow. I pulled the 3100 about 6 months ago and rebuilt it. I wish I would have upgraded. I'm looking to upgrade now though.

The stock 3100? It doesn't seem that strong. That last one cracked the block and spun a rod bearing. Maybe it was just back luck though.

Sure. I have a boosted 3400 in one of my cars. It's not much different from the 3100. You could do 8 psi stock.

You can upgrade to a 3800 or a 3500. It's your pick. The 3800 is the famous Buick engine and the 3500 replaced both the 3100 and 3400. The 3500 would be more of a direct swap than the 3800 using your current wiring and PCM but a donor Lumina LTZ or Z34 Monte Carlo would make the 3800 a plug and play thing if it's not Supercharged. Supercharged 3800s will take more work.

You can upgrade to a 3800 or a 3500. It's your pick. The 3800 is the famous Buick engine and the 3500 replaced both the 3100 and 3400. The 3500 would be more of a direct swap than the 3800 using your current wiring and PCM but a donor Lumina LTZ or Z34 Monte Carlo would make the 3800 a plug and play thing if it's not Supercharged. Supercharged 3800s will take more work.

Only extra work to swapping in a sc 3800 vs non sc is extending/swapping the map plug. Takes 5 min drunk ;)