Removing the Cigarette Lighter Socket in my CUTLASS?

gmrulz4u

Right now, I have my CD Player mounted where the factory DIS would have been. I've had my CD Player installed there for over 2 years, and I LOVE the location.

But now I'm starting to think that there's ALSO a nice DIN size opening right above, where the ashtray and lighter socket is. I've had my ashtray out for a while now, about a year. When I look at it, it seems like that section of dash containing the lighter socket is ATTACHED to the rest of the plastic dash...is this true?

If so, I guess I'll have to cut it out somehow.

If you're wondering why I want another DIN opening, it's for a DVD player.

Damnit.. stop putting ideas in my head.. I don't have enough money to carry them out! ;)

That got me thinking though.. a little 4" LCD where the stock HU goes (not enough god damn room back there for a radio anyway :P ), where the cig tray and lighter are cut that out and install the HU there, and then below it (where the DIC would go) put in the EQ and flush mount the radar detector display... hmmm.. someday maybe. :)

Yep! I had actually envisioned something far greater...

- 6.5" widescreen (16:9 ratio) LCD with touchscreen where the stock HU goes. I think this size would fill it completely.

- PC-based controller using miniature motherboard with TV and radio card.

- 802.11b wireless network card

- PCMCIA GPS for navigation

- Pioneer slot-in DVD-ROM drive where the ashtray is

All this would need to be driven by custom software on the PC. I envision large icon "buttons" on the touchscreen for major functions (TV, TUNER, DVD, Navigation, etc.) and a status area to show clock, station/track. Everything is touchscreen driven. The 802.11b wireless network card allows copying files and MP3's to/from the PC's hard drive from the comfort of the office while the car sits in the garage or driveway.

Getting the LCD touchscreen and writing the custom software would be the difficult part, and is why I haven't done such a thing.

Yea... the touch screen thing would be a bit tricky. Always wanted to put a macintosh system in to the lumina when I had it. Maybe one of these days I'll figure out something cool for the cutlass.

Good idea BTW.. the big button touch screen idea is pretty sweet.