The Budget Friendly Mod Thread

Booba

No, but I must need them. Different length or different size flare nuts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nah same fittings and length. then gen 2 rack just has a dif position on da rack, just enuf to make it impossible to make the low pressure line work. when i first swapped my car i thot i made it work till i popped a line 2 days later from getting pinched. the hi pressure line can work but its SOOOOOO much easier to use the gen 2 line :)

I have a few more to add. I installed an Aluminum front bumper support from a Pontiac Aztec, you just have to grind off a sleeve on the support and drill a hole in the flange on your car. Easy weight savings, you can see the sleeve to grind off:

DSC00974_zpsf53764be.jpg

I also installed an aluminum subframe from a 2002 Impala, but they cam on 2001+Monte Carlo\Impala, and 04+ GPs. They came on 2000 Monte Carlos, but they had weak welds and are prone to cracking:

DSC00770_zps09c98f79.jpg

If you have to rebuild your 4T65E, you can use the 4th shaft from an 03+ as they are hardened, as well and the input\third clutches and 3rd sprag since it is ratcheting so it's stronger. Also, GXP 4T65E chains are hardened as well, so they are slightly stronger. You can identify the hardened chains by the 2 blue links per chain:

DSC00013_zps0b431eb2.jpg

Depending on the junkyard you goto, you can swap in 04+ Grand Prix seats for cheap. Fronts bolt right in, but the seat belt latch is a bit loose for the 97-03 seat belts, so you might want to swap them over from your stock seats, and the heated seat will only work on high. Back seats require a little bit of modding to fit, but nothing major. I don't have any pics of the modding, but you will see what needs to be done when you install them:

DSC00002_zpsd58a041a.jpg

As always, there is more to come!

I have a few more to add. I installed an Aluminum front bumper support from a Pontiac Aztec, you just have to grind off a sleeve on the support and drill a hole in the flange on your car. Easy weight savings, you can see the sleeve to grind off:

DSC00974_zpsf53764be.jpg

I also installed an aluminum subframe from a 2002 Impala, but they cam on 2001+Monte Carlo\Impala, and 04+ GPs. They came on 2000 Monte Carlos, but they had weak welds and are prone to cracking:

DSC00770_zps09c98f79.jpg

If you have to rebuild your 4T65E, you can use the 4th shaft from an 03+ as they are hardened, as well and the input\third clutches and 3rd sprag since it is ratcheting so it's stronger. Also, GXP 4T65E chains are hardened as well, so they are slightly stronger. You can identify the hardened chains by the 2 blue links per chain:

DSC00013_zps0b431eb2.jpg

Depending on the junkyard you goto, you can swap in 04+ Grand Prix seats for cheap. Fronts bolt right in, but the seat belt latch is a bit loose for the 97-03 seat belts, so you might want to swap them over from your stock seats, and the heated seat will only work on high. Back seats require a little bit of modding to fit, but nothing major. I don't have any pics of the modding, but you will see what needs to be done when you install them:

DSC00002_zpsd58a041a.jpg

As always, there is more to come!

you gonna do a full color change on the interior?

Nah, with all the stuff I've done to the front it blends quite well, I've swapped over more stuff so it's about half and half. I might swap the pillow leather out on the door panels, but I dunno.

This is the front stuff before the seats:

DSC00636_zpsd683763a.jpg

• 2 months later...

So if the '98-04 Regals actually have such a low-ratio rack AND Magnasteer, and the Montes don't, why would you want a Monte rack without it over a Regal rack with it? You said there's no wiring involved on 98+. Is there something I'm missing? Magnasteer is a desirable premium feature, trust me if you have your choice, you want it. Autozone specs list the Regal rack as 2.8 turns lock-to-lock, and the Monte rack at 2.5, is that why? If there were a rack that had the low-ratio and Magnasteer of the Regals and also a variable ratio like the 97+ GPs, that would really be the one to get. Does that exist?

Edited by crazyd

So if the '98-04 Regals actually have such a low-ratio rack AND Magnasteer, and the Montes don't, why would you want a Monte rack without it over a Regal rack with it? You said there's no wiring involved on 98+. Is there something I'm missing? Magnasteer is a desirable premium feature, trust me if you have your choice, you want it. Autozone specs list the Regal rack as 2.8 turns lock-to-lock, and the Monte rack at 2.5, is that why? If there were a rack that had the low-ratio and Magnasteer of the Regals and also a variable ratio like the 97+ GPs, that would really be the one to get. Does that exist?

i would imagine the diff in lock to lock is duet thato many 00-05 montes came with 17" wheels. and to wire up mag steer on a non mag car would be too much of a pita compared to the negligable benefits. ive driven a few steer cars and a few that were equipped with it that were unplugged.....didnt like the vague feel of it

Nah, with all the stuff I've done to the front it blends quite well, I've swapped over more stuff so it's about half and half. I might swap the pillow leather out on the door panels, but I dunno.

This is the front stuff before the seats:

DSC00636_zpsd683763a.jpg

What car are those seats from?

Yeah I meant to quote the GXP seats one but you got the point... That style didn't come in coupes right?

04+ were only 4 door but the seats still lean forward so you can use them in a 2 door

04+ were only 4 door but the seats still lean forward so you can use them in a 2 door

Oh yeah, the passengers folds all the way down. The drivers wont right?

Oh yeah, the passengers folds all the way dow. n. The drivers wont right?

Yep, but both rear seats fold down so you have full access to the trunk. That and the dual heated seats is nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres another one. Its not a major mod nor does it have drastic results but it cheap and easy. And if ur goin for weight reduction its right up ur alley. Use a 3.5 intrigue trans mount bracket. Alloy and is less than half the weight of the steel version. And its a direct swap. Would go good with an alloy pan swap....and if you have a gen 2 an alloy subframe and aztek bumper swap. Had the alloy mount bracket on my car 2 monthes now

Heres another one. Its not a major mod nor does it have drastic results but it cheap and easy. And if ur goin for weight reduction its right up ur alley. Use a 3.5 intrigue trans mount bracket. Alloy and is less than half the weight of the steel version. And its a direct swap. Would go good with an alloy pan swap....and if you have a gen 2 an alloy subframe and aztek bumper swap. Had the alloy mount bracket on my car 2 monthes now

And only the 3.5 cars got the alloy bracket.....3800 intrigues got steel

Will also fit 4t60s

• 1 month later...
Can I use 97+ seats in my 94 se coupe. Front and rear

97 Monte Carlo seats in your 94 Grand Prix SE coupe? Yes!

97 Grand Prix seats in your 94 GP SE Coupe? Not without modifications to the seat frame.

A 97+ gp rear seat would b a bitch to install. A 2000+ monte rear on the other hand.....

Still a bitch to install... You have to separate the top cushions off from the frame that was used in the MC. However once off, it's a matter of making brackets.

• 2 weeks later...
Hhhmmm. So what about 97+ lowering springs on a 94

Doesn't work that way. You can lower the rear with coil overs or a special leaf spring from birchmount. The fronts can be lowered by either cutting a coil on the stock coils (bad yes I know, but many members have done it here without a harsh ride) or you can get front ST springs for the 95-01 Lumina/95-99 Monte Carlo.