Question on rear strut install, 97 Cutlass coupe.

Mark 97 Cutlass Coupe

The struts I'm looking to buy have the bearing already installed, with a new spring as well. Here is my question- if the upper strut mount bolts break during disassembly, does it matter? Are those three nuts attached to the bearing? My thinking is that it really doesn't matter if they break because all that stuff is getting replaced Am I right?

link to a pic?

pretty sure it wouldn't matter on a Lummy, not sure how different a cutlass is

any way why do you ask? I never had one break off, at least on a Lummy just don't get all ham fisted

Cutlass rear strut doesn't have a spring or bearing. Installing a custom setup?

Am I missing something?

Cutlass has 2 bolts holding the upper strut mount to the body. I normally spray

some lube on them through the trunk before removal. Those break and you'll be

drilling them out of the body. Been there, done that.

95 Vert, do the studs visible through the trunk attach to the top of the strut? That is what I was trying to ask. You mention if they break that they need to be drilled out. I guess I am unclear how the top of the strut attaches to the strut tower. Do you know for sure if your convertible is the same as the coupe?

95 Vert, do the studs visible through the trunk attach to the top of the strut? That is what I was trying to ask. You mention if they break that they need to be drilled out. I guess I am unclear how the top of the strut attaches to the strut tower. Do you know for sure if your convertible is the same as the coupe?

Coupe and convertible are the same suspension wise, Cutlass Supreme, Grand Prix and Regal are the same as well. The bolts that hold the strut to the body are on top of the strut, outside in the wheel well. It's 2 15mm bolts that hold it in if I remember correctly and its a wise idea to take them off first then the 2 bolts on the bottom of the strut. Also, you need to hold in the rubber piece on the side of the knuckle with a bolt otherwise it will be hard to put everything back together.

Nas is correct. Two 15mm head bolts accessed above the tire, If I remember correctly, the end of the bolts sit through the tower inside the trunk. Spray the ends with lube and take it slow loosening them to start with. I've had some come right out and others break off in the body.

Strut mount mounts to the top of the strut, one nut in the center and the two bolts hold the mount to the body.

Picture of the mount,

http://www.partsgeek.com/73b2st1-oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme-strut-mount.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=pf&utm_content=mc&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+ShopZilla&fp=pp&utm_term=Oldsmobile+Strut+Mount

And if you have the rubber bushings mounted by a bracket attached to the lower strut bolts, the new strut will come with a bolt that goes through the rubber bushing. Tighten the bolt to keep the bushing from "popping" out when removing the lower strut bolts

If you break the heads off the bolts in the wheel well, I had success taking them out from inside the trunk without having to drill. With vice grips

• 1 month later...
If you break the heads off the bolts in the wheel well, I had success taking them out from inside the trunk without having to drill. With vice grips

Likewise, one might be able to procure 2 nuts of the same size/thread pitch, place the lower nut onto the assembly inside the trunk, and then tighten the top nut down. And then turn the bottom, which should turn the whole assembly. I did this when I broke my heads off in the wheel well, and saved my butt. Requires access to bolts though of a size that will fit on the stud.