convertible top replacement?

95toplesscutty

Hello all. I searched and only found the one sticky about top replacement. It is nice and comprehensive, however it really doesn't give a "how to". Anybody replaced one themselves before? What should I look out for?

Secondly, I am planning on replacing my turn signal switch in the next day or so. Has anyone done this job? What should I look out for?

Basically I am looking to make these tasks as easy as possible... any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Haven't replaced my top---yet, but the time is drawing near.

I have replaced the turn signal switch...keep in mind, there's more than one switch, depending on whether or not you have steering wheel controls...and you'll need a lock plate compressor, and a steering wheel puller, both can be rented for free from Autozone.

Here's a link to my replacement job I did last year.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/76204-Bad-Turn-Sigal-Switch?highlight=turn+signal+switch

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/76204-Bad-Turn-Sigal-Switch?highlight=turn+signal+switch

I replaced my top this summer. A few years ago I bought an Oldsmobile dealership training video/manual on convertible tops on ebay. That helped a lot as I kept going back into the house and watching clips of the video and looking at the pictures in the book.

The video will tell you to throw away the header gasket, but don't do that! You can't find them anywhere. So you need to take that off very, very slowly so that the rubber doesn't rip. I pried it out of the channel it was in about 1/8 of an inch at a time with a flat screwdriver.

Same here...I really should replace mine this summer, and funds due to my medical issues mean I'll have to do it myself, so I'd love to see the video!

Any chance you still have that video? and can upload it here. I don't have a `Vert (yet) but I`d be interested in seeing it.

Matthews is a reasonable drive from Knoxville...I may talk to you about your experience, average cost around here is $1000.00 minimum just for the labor.

I just had my top replaced two weeks ago, and after seeing what it involved, there is NO way I would attempt it, and I've done some interior work in the past. Labor was $600.

I have ordered a new top and rear window from the convertible top guys website. I bought a package deal that comes with black top, glass rear window, tension cables, padding, staples, glue, and an installation guide. I do not know how detailed it is but I will let everyone know when it gets here. Also I have replaced my turn signal switch using that link provided by galaxie! It was perfect! Only nerve racking part was pulling the multifunction lever out... I thought I was gonna break it!

Glad that info helped....that's why we're here...:thumbsup:

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the top stuff cost? I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of the quality of the stuff, once you get it.

I have ordered a new top and rear window from the convertible top guys website. I bought a package deal that comes with black top, glass rear window, tension cables, padding, staples, glue, and an installation guide. I do not know how detailed it is but I will let everyone know when it gets here. Also I have replaced my turn signal switch using that link provided by galaxie! It was perfect! Only nerve racking part was pulling the multifunction lever out... I thought I was gonna break it!

Its no problem. I paid just under 500 bucks for everything. They called me yesterday and asked me what color I want the headliner around the rear window. I am hoping it arrives quickly, I intend on doing a write for everyone.

Matthews is a reasonable drive from Knoxville...I may talk to you about your experience, average cost around here is $1000.00 minimum just for the labor.

Knoxville is where I met the guy that I bought mine from. Unfortunately, he was less than honest about the work he had supposedly done to mine.:evil:

Regardless, I finally seem to have it sorted mechanically now. It's a small shop and they have two people, sometimes just the one. I dropped mine off Wed night so they could start early Thursday, with the idea I'd get it back by close of business Friday. In his defense, he had a family emergency so I didn't get it back until Sat after lunch. It is listed as a 14 hour job though. Peterson's Upholstery in Indian Trail, NC, 704-821-6135...Ask for Hairy and tell him I sent you. He did a great job! It's about 10 - 15 min from Matthews.

Ok everyone, I am pretty far in to replacing my top, so far all has gone pretty well! Old top is off and one side of the padding is off... had to stop for the night. One small problem I ran in to was I broke the passenger side trim panel beneath the glass that covers all the staples. I did not realize it was bolted on... anyone have one? Preferably in dark green? The trim piece around third brake light would be nice too, but not necessary. Rear window was busted out and prev. Owner taped to this and about ruined it!

Ok everyone, my top is done. It came out good! I have a book that I got when I ordered my top that walked me through the replacement process step by tedious step... in the end I have a sweet new top for less than half the cost of most shops!

post-8221-143689152176_thumb.jpg

post-8221-143689152179_thumb.jpg

I have two books. One oldsmobile put out in 19490 that I got off e bay and it was really helpful. The one that I got with my top I would be willing to ship to someone who has the capability to mass copy/produce it for anyone that wants on. The other book I can make copies of and send the copies with the other book to whoever can make the copies and everyone can be able to replace their tops! Save at least a thousand dollars! Any takers?

I have a machine here that plays VHS, and has a DVD recorder, that should do it..

Do you have anyway to make a copy the.tape. I still have an old vhs :)