squeaking rear spring

Aron Nance

Juju's '94 Cutlass vert "squeaks" when either side of the rear is pressed downward. Thinking it might be the transverse rear spring needs some lubricant. Anyone else ever have this "squeaking" noise, and found a remedy?:think:

THANKS!

Aron

I'd be more inclined to think the squeak are the rubber bushings for the links, rather than the transverse spring. As far as lubricating those points, I can tell you that petroleum-based lubricants are death to rubber...but perhaps silicone-based lubricants would give at least temporary relief.

Transverse leaf? Have you inspected the rubber isolators on the tips of the spring? I'd expect they were dead years ago.

The nylon pads are a suitable and simple repair, and raise the back of the vehicle a little bit to compensate for spring sag.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/21004-Monoleaf-Pad-Thread-%28Part-Number-and-HowTo-Inside%29?p=969801&viewfull=1#post969801

• 3 weeks later...
Transverse leaf? Have you inspected the rubber isolators on the tips of the spring? I'd expect they were dead years ago.

The nylon pads are a suitable and simple repair, and raise the back of the vehicle a little bit to compensate for spring sag.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/21004-Monoleaf-Pad-Thread-%28Part-Number-and-HowTo-Inside%29?p=969801&viewfull=1#post969801

Appreciate the tip. Have made the tool and given it to my shop owner for the repair to be done as soon as I can get the car there,:D

Not a bad tool! However, I just used a 2x4 chunk and a bottle jack to raise the spring when I did it. worked great and even did two members cars that way at a meet. If that doesn't fix it, then it is probably the struts. If so, KYB or Monroe Senstracks are the only way to go.