Oldsmobile DIS software version for3.4 DOHC

Drummer

I was browsing my local yard and came across a olds 98 Regency and since I hardly see them i figured id check it out and noticed a DIS which looks exactly like the one in a cutlass, so taking a gamble i buy it. Searching the forum I find out that it will work and bolt in just fine, but looking at a thread there are different software versions for different motors?

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/1440-Driver-Information-System-install-in-an-88-CS/page2?highlight=drivers+information+system

Is there any way to update the software version so it will display the right information as far as diagnostics and all for a 93 DOHC motor? This is for my 93 cutlass convertible with the 3.4.

take it apart and take pictures. IF it has a PROM external to the main processor, it can be updated. i recently pulled and posted the 2.1W revision.

as far as diagnostics, the DIS doesn't do any that i know of. i don't know what the differences are between the different software revisions, i would need to see other revisions to draw conclusions.

i wouldn't expect much difference between the revisions though.... maybe to the fuel level or oil life calcs? fuel economy/usage info is dependant upon the ECM, which allows the same DIS to be used on a 2.8, 3.1, 3.4 or even 3.8 W-body and still be accurate.

no go. uses the 78C14 processor, which has internal PROM. the cutlass supreme units all seem to use a 78C10 which has a very common(for the era) external PROM that can be removed, read, modified and replaced.

long story short, no. the boards are WAY different. the area where all of the wires junction to the board is where the PROM and another IC resides.

if you were really set on using this exact unit, you could spend a lot of time and money and possibly get it to work with an external PROM, after buying a 78C10, PROM, the other missing IC and mount it all to a different PCB that you'll have to hide somewhere and then connect it via 80 or so wires.

i'd just sell it(or keep it for a 98 should you want to acquire one) and find one meant for a CS(or at least has the external PROM in it).

I guess ill wire it up and see how far off the fuel/oil mileages are. only thing i could see being off are the miles till empty since the 98 uses a 18 gallon tank versus 15 gallon in a w.

One of my cars (forgot which one) has the DIS from an Olds 98 with the same 78C14 chip as yours. Everything works. Yeah, the distance to empty is probably the only thing that would be off. I thought these cars had a 16 or 16.5-gallon tank.

• 8 months later...

ok here's another dis that is supposedly from an 89 cutlass supreme. I'm still not seeing a external prom, or maybe Im to afraid to break something lol.post-1124-143689158572_thumb.jpg

post-1124-143689158559_thumb.jpg

power it up and get into the diagnostic mode and we'll find out what it is, the IC with the 185 sticker on it is the PROM(don't remove the sticker or else the PROM will eventually get erased via UV light, how long it would take for bits to start flipping, i'm not certain, but i wouldn't risk it).

be careful moving it around too much, the wires in the two ribbon cables love to fray and break off right at their connections to the board on either side.

on connector C1(8 pin connector):

pins A and B to +12V

pin E to ground

and that will get it operational enough to light up and into diagnostic mode.

at that point, i want to say, hit "DEST", then RESET, then enter 8192 and you should be good to go. i think any button pressed after that will cause the screen to advance.

the second values are H0, which for some reason, GM may or may not have actually used to indicate LH0. but i've also seen references that H0 can indicate 2.8, while B6 is the 3.1.....

so, either way, you have an earlier cutlass DIS.

No, like Saar had mentioned before, the chip with the big 185 on the sticker is the external PROM.

All W-body DIS I've seen have an external PROM. It's just the H-body ones that don't.

power it up and get into the diagnostic mode and we'll find out what it is, the IC with the 185 sticker on it is the PROM(don't remove the sticker or else the PROM will eventually get erased via UV light, how long it would take for bits to start flipping, i'm not certain, but i wouldn't risk

Ohhh so that's why that computer never booted again.

Ohhh so that's why that computer never booted again.

I have a whole stack of UV EPROMs that I've left on my window sill for over a week to see if bright sunlight would erase them, but it never did and they still verified 100% with the source bin.

I have to throw them in my UV eraser for a full 10-minutes to erase them and sometimes that isn't even long enough.

I'd be surprised if just lifting the sticker for a few minutes actually did anything.