What are the symtems of a bab motor mount?

Intlcutlass

He fellas , what are the symtems of a bad motor mount?

I'll tell ya what i have done...

All four corners new struts.

The tranny is new and I assume when they remaned the trannt they used new mounts too.

When I go over some minor bumps in the road I head a clunking type noise though. And also when you go in reverse , I get a clunk then too. Any help would be be great.

For anyone who has had this problem , how hard is it to fix and how much. Whats involved?

Check your torque mount(dog bone) if you have them like mine 88 Grandprix. When the rubber insert are gone, you will hear and feel the engine clunking. replace asap. cost about $13 each.

I heard something about the downpipe or the exaust pipe that goes down the middle the back of the engine....mine dose it too in reverse it's annoying.

On my old Cutlass DOHC it was the exhaust manifold and the downpipe making contact to the firewall.

Re-torqued exhaust manifold and adjust firewall heart shield and no problems afterwards.

It's also a possiblility of the rear motor mount or the tranny mount depending on where the sound is coming from.

- Erik

The dog bones are new (within a year) , so I think I can eliminate that.

I will check the cradle bolts....thanks for the heads up.

But , the reason I ask is cause my brother just bought a Intrepid , and asked me to go for a ride with him. He sais that he had a mechanic look it over , but the mechanic didn't have too much time , but his only sugeestion was either a new motor mount or a new tranny mount.

So I get in the car with him and he tells me to listen, and it was the EXACT same noise my Cutlass makes. I had been chasing this noise for better than a year now. And it kinda makes sence , but the differenced between Dodge & GM and the fact that the mechanic really didn't go over the car really good, made me want to post the question here.

Thanks for the help guys..... Anyone else hase an idea. Something I should look at?

nobody else?

Nobody has ever had a bad motor mount? I need instructions on how to do it.

BTW I see I misspelled bad in the topic line. :oops:

Sometimes I type too fast.