blue-looking headlights

godofthunder

Ok...I waant to get those cleaner white lights...like what many have been talking about recently. But...currently...not to sure if i wanan put all the money down for the Silverstars.

But...many (and espc. the ricers) you see these bulbs in there that look BLUE. I DO NOT want that....I want them to look normal.

Which ones are for me?

jon

Alright guys...stop knocking the cool blue bulbs. :cuss: I've been running them in my LE for 3 years now. I was NOT under the impression that they were blue when I bought them...and I was not disappointed. They do NOT give off blue light. They give off a clean white light. That is the GOAL. You do NOT want a yellowish (stock halogen) tint or a blue (ricer xenon wannabes) tint. You want white light..because white light is clean light. The only disadvantage to the COOL BLUEs is that they are not as bright as the Silverstars that I have in my GT.

So lay off em :dammit:

nice post...thats what i wanted.

Now...when your lights are off...do the bulbs look blue?

I dont want blue light..i want clean white. But i also dont want blue bulbs when they are off.

jon

Da Burnin' Rom is correct. I'm not sure why they named them Cool Blue, as Sylvania could probably sell more if they referred to them as "White". As far as I can tell, they do not have any significant blue appearance while in the headlamps of my Monte.

As mentioned, they simply project a whiter light over halogen lamps. While the output is not extremely brighter over halogens, the disappearance of the yellow tinge is wonderful for night driving.

Depending upon the cost difference from the Cool Blue's to the Silverstars, for every day driving, the Cool Blue's have their worth.

People need to remember that BLUE is the worst visible color in the spectrum. Anyone marketing a blue color projecting lamp is marketing a useless product.

WHen i had those "cool blue" lights i had a harder time seeing over my stock lights. I didnt car i just drove with my high beams on until i sold that car. I think for this one im going for the silverstars. I want the look that the new luxary cars have though. The extremely bright white lights. Is this what the silverstars are?

Cool Blues have a blue coating on the bulb. They take away the yellowish look of standard halogens. I have them and when I tested them with one standard halogen and one Cool Blue per side of the car, the stardard had a yellow look and the Cool Blue was white with maybe a hint if blue in there. They may or not be worth the money. It all depends what you are going for. I think I paid like $15 a piece.

The HID appearance merely comes from the visible light of the spectrum most prominent to the eye of the on-coming driver. The driver of the vehicle with HID is not receiving that color being on the other side of the headlights. People often imitate this appearance by using a blue-tint bulb to emit that light; unfortunately, the blue-tint bulb is also bouncing that color off of everything back at the driver – and this is bad, because blue is the most difficult color in the spectrum for the eye to define. This is why neon signs look so blurry from a distance. So the best way to appreciate them is to let the other guy own and drive with them, because they’re useless wastes of money.

The light coming from HID lights are created from the burning gases (Xenon). They burn hotter than a common headlamp filament, and hotter air creates whiter light. You get a better idea when you look at the fire of a cutting torch.

People often say that Cool Blue’s are merely tinted for their effect. The truth is, if it were only tinted blue, the lamp would be emitting blue light. They do not. The light is more purer white. This byproduct is from the small amount of Xenon gas inside the lamp, creating less of the normal yellowing effect of halogen lamps.

I would imagine the Sylvania Silverstars are done the very same way, though designed to burn much hotter than even the Cool Blue’s they make; offering a hotter, cleaner, whiter light.

I do know one thing is for certain, that nobody has ever claimed the Cool Blue had a blue look when they were on-coming…rather, they think my high-beams are on instead of my low-beams. Not that they’re more powerful, but that it’s easy to see how some think a whiter light is more powerful. I’d imagine this is because high-beams do not appear yellow at all the way normal low-beams do.

oh, im not thinking about blue light..im talking about when the car is off...and sitting there, and the headllights look ALL blue. I did see a riced accord today...and even his lights looked blue.

I was looking today, ane everything was either blue, or $35 for a set of Silverstars. Acvtually..the only other lites wally world had were GE.

Are the cool blues worth it at all? I keep getting confliting stories. I would like something brighter, and whiter....but preferably brighter. I wouldnt mind Silverstars, but $70 on headlights isnt going to work right now.

Jon

oh, im not thinking about blue light..im talking about when the car is off...and sitting there, and the headllights look ALL blue. I did see a riced accord today...and even his lights looked blue.

I was looking today, ane everything was either blue, or $35 for a set of Silverstars. Acvtually..the only other lites wally world had were GE.

Are the cool blues worth it at all? I keep getting confliting stories. I would like something brighter, and whiter....but preferably brighter. I wouldnt mind Silverstars, but $70 on headlights isnt going to work right now.

Jon

Cool blues may not give you necessarily brighter light, but it will be clearer and whiter...that's about it.

Silverstars will give you what you want...but gees, at $70 for both, and only being low-beams I'd imagine, that's rediculous when you consider they'll last you half the life of normal lamps.

I have a set of 4 hyper Tech blue tinted bulbs that have been sitting in their high tech little plastic boxes for 2 years if anybody wants to lose $5 + shipping. I spent like $32 or so. What a waste.

The highs were in two nights and the lows were in 1 week. Couldn't see a darn thing. Deer are nearly invisible with them.

No, they do not reduce light output or visibility. Their candlepower is enhanced marginally - meaning, they are a tad brighter, but on a scale of 1-to-10 with stock halogens beings a 7, Cool Blues would be a 7.5 or 8 - not major. The difference is the removal of the yellow tinge for clean, white light.

I have a set of diamond blues in my car and they do shine blue light. Ive had them in my car for 4yrs now and yes they are not as bright as regular headlights but when it comes to driven in the fog there great. Im planning on switching them out when they blow to the silverstars.

No, they do not reduce light output or visibility. Their candlepower is enhanced marginally - meaning, they are a tad brighter, but on a scale of 1-to-10 with stock halogens beings a 7, Cool Blues would be a 7.5 or 8 - not major. The difference is the removal of the yellow tinge for clean, white light.

Exactly what I would have said. Don't buy Cool Blues expecting to have blue-looking headlights. Expect to have slightly brighter, and much whiter headlights with maybe a slight hint of blue if you look closely enough.

hmm...thats what i want though...no blue...just whiter, and poss. brighter. I dont wanan have blue...that woudl look odd to me...and to ricerish...

now what about fogs...if you change your headlights to a nice clean white....wouldnt those still look yellow?

jon

I changed one of my headlights to cool blue and the other I haven't gotten around to yet. The cool blue is a good bit whiter with a slight and I mean slight blue tinge. The visibility is about the same but it looks much whiter from in front of the car. When the lights are off you CANNOT see any blue in the light. None whatsoever.