Cruise Control not working

KAlsteen

I just noticed that my cruise control doesn't work. Since I just bought the car I have no idea if it had any symptoms of breaking. Is there a way to figure out what the cause of it not working is, like maybe a fuse that might have blown?

Definitely check the fuse...not knowing the year and make of your car, but assuming it's a W-body, check the brake switch as well. Sometimes, they're not adjusted properly--there's TWO switches built together, one activates the brake lights, and the other is responsible for disengaging the cruise when the brake is applied. If that switch is misadjusted, the cruise could think the brakes are applied--but the brake lights won't be on.

I just noticed that my cruise control doesn't work. Since I just bought the car I have no idea if it had any symptoms of breaking. Is there a way to figure out what the cause of it not working is, like maybe a fuse that might have blown?

post-8203-143689125128_thumb.jpg

OK, I have no idea what I'm looking for and there's no space to see very well so here's what I could see. I can't seem to find the cruise control fuse anywhere... is it labeled something else?

post-8203-143689125086_thumb.jpg

post-8203-143689125093_thumb.jpg

post-8203-143689125104_thumb.jpg

post-8203-143689125115_thumb.jpg

post-8203-143689125122_thumb.jpg

The Cruse Control Fuse should be fuse #24 @ 15Amp fuse in your interior fuse panel.

Before you go adjusting on the brake switch make sure the cruse control fuse is good.

While driving on a long straight road over 20 MPH pull up on the brake pedal with your foot and try to set the cruse control.

If the cruse control will not work and the Cruse light does not come on the dash you probably have a bad cruse control servo box under the hood.

One day my cruse stop working while driving on a trip and at first was intermittent like the cruse switch was bad. After lots of testing I picked up 2 servo modules from the salvage yard and swapped them out and only one was good.

It appears the control chip on the circuit board in the servo module just goes bad.

On my Cutlass, there was a broken wire where the multi-function switch went into the steering column.It was the wire for the center button, to set the cruise. I could just see the break, and took the steering wheel off so I could solder a patch wire in. Now the wire for the increase speed has broken.

Fuse #24 is good, although it is labeled as HVAC#2 on the fuse panel sticker so that's confusing. I haven't gone on the highway yet today to try pulling up on the brake pedal yet.

are you turning hte switch to "on", pressing the outer button, then pressing switch all the way to the right?

My owners manual doesn't say anything about pressing the switch all the way to the right after I press the set button. I just turned it on and pressed the set button, like my last Grand Prix (1993).

On my Cutlass, there was a broken wire where the multi-function switch went into the steering column.It was the wire for the center button, to set the cruise. I could just see the break, and took the steering wheel off so I could solder a patch wire in. Now the wire for the increase speed has broken.

If pulling up on the brake pedal doesn't work I will inspect the wires.

post-8203-14368912523_thumb.jpg

Ok, pulled the blinker out to see if the clip was loose, which it wasn't but there seems to be some wires that aren't connected to anything. Are these for the cruise? Is there directions somewhere on how to take the plastic off and repair the wires, or would it be easier to just get a new part from the junkyard?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12139[/ATTACH]

Ok, pulled the blinker out to see if the clip was loose, which it wasn't but there seems to be some wires that aren't connected to anything. Are these for the cruise? Is there directions somewhere on how to take the plastic off and repair the wires, or would it be easier to just get a new part from the junkyard?

Did I miss the post where you told us WHAT CAR THIS IS?

Every time the cruise control has failed me on my '92 and '93 Luminas, it has been due to defective vacuum hoses either in the brake/ABS area (next to the cruise control transducer) or a failed vacuum hose near the reservoir "ball" screwed to the underside of the fender area just under the battery. It's the same vacuum hose, but I've had multiple problems on the two vehicles where that hose assembly cracks or rubs-through; it kills the vacuum supply to the cruise module located near the brake master cylinder/ABS box. When there is no vacuum to the cruise transducer, it will not engage.

Did I miss the post where you told us WHAT CAR THIS IS?

Every time the cruise control has failed me on my '92 and '93 Luminas, it has been due to defective vacuum hoses either in the brake/ABS area (next to the cruise control transducer) or a failed vacuum hose near the reservoir "ball" screwed to the underside of the fender area just under the battery. It's the same vacuum hose, but I've had multiple problems on the two vehicles where that hose assembly cracks or rubs-through; it kills the vacuum supply to the cruise module located near the brake master cylinder/ABS box. When there is no vacuum to the cruise transducer, it will not engage.

im pretty sure its the car he has listed in his fuelly sig which has the electronic cruise system

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a '96 Monte Carlo in the shop today with inop cruise, turns out the wires in the column are broken. It's actually sold as the "wiper switch", the cruise wiring is built into that.

If you want I can tell you which wires to test at the cruise servo, it's the box mounted to your drivers strut town with a cable coming out of it. That will tell you for sure whether it's the cruise module or a wiring/switch issue.

Yes those are the wires for the cruise control. This weekend I fixed the second broken wire from that plug. What I ended up doing was soldering a 3" piece of wire onto the stalk side wires after cutting the remaining 2 off the plug, then snipped the wires in the column off the other side of the plug and soldered it all together. So really I just eliminated the plug. If you want you can use crimp connectors or some Molex plugs so you still have plugs to make it easier when needing to open up the column.

• 11 months later...

Yes,please tell me which wires to test at the servo.My car is a 97 olds cutlass supreme 4 door.

Just had a '96 Monte Carlo in the shop today with inop cruise, turns out the wires in the column are broken. It's actually sold as the "wiper switch", the cruise wiring is built into that.

If you want I can tell you which wires to test at the cruise servo, it's the box mounted to your drivers strut town with a cable coming out of it. That will tell you for sure whether it's the cruise module or a wiring/switch issue.