Free Flow System

SmoothSteve3

Hey everyone-

I really really want to take the catalytic converter out of my exhaust system....but I personally have no clue how to do it. I've got a 1990 VIN T 3.1 Lumina....does the converter just bolt on? If not, then I'm assuming you guys do your own welding and whatnot (since no certified shop will give you a cat-less system). If it is just a bolt on.......then what size of pipe would (length and width) would I need to put in place of the cat? Thanks a million for all the help you guys give me.....I'd be hopelessly lost without it :D

SmoothSteve3

I was in your situation a year ago. Gutting that cat has its advantages since you can't tell by looking at the car that he emissions part has been removed. I decided to completely remove it. Since the cat is welded at the factory, I used a reciprocating saw to cut it off. Then I replaced it with a 2.5" diameter (around 3' long) straight pipe that a friend MIG welded on for me. 2.25" would also work fine.

Yeah, if you are emissions conscience you may want to do that. Especailly if you live in a state with regular or on-the-spot emissions testing. Your exhuast system will flow better with no cat, but with a stock setup, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of the added flow anyways.