Worn front srut mount causing noise?

mchill07

My 95" @ 112K has a really good ride to it and holds the road well for it to still have the original suspension. I have this noise (popping) from the front right on large bump or potholes.

the rest of the time, the ride is smooth and quiet. I removed the strut tower plate and pushed down on the nose of the car to look for movement and there was a little. Could it be this mount?

Are they hard to replace?

are the inside of your plates shiny and deformed? mine are making the same noise but the car handles great. i just changed everything in the front struts including mounts and bearings about six months ago... not too hard if you have a spring compressor

The underside of the plate is not deformed, but there are places in which the paint is worn off. Also I can see a gap all the way around the the rubber where the top nut of the strut cartridge sits.

should there be? What all is involved to just change the strut cartridge and the rubber mount?

no it shouldnt have a gap. mine were like that and i went to jack up the car and my right front strut fell apart. if you have the special tool you can take them out thru the top of the tower. or if you have a strut spring compressor you can take the whole strut assembly out and tear them apart.

Replaced the struts, Which had broke apart in the housing (both sides) and their mount. I could not locate the strut bumper that goes between it ant the mount. The original ones disintegrated, almost vanished into dust completely. the ride is nice and quiet now. The loaner tool from auto zone was a lifesaver. Turned a $600+ job into roughly $150!!!